being uncomfortable

Somebody asked me why I don’t get you-talk-it-types software.

I did. I have it, I have Dragon Dictates, top of the line.

I jumped through hoops to get it ready.

I updated software.

When it was all ready to go. it stayed in the box.

I recently attended what they call a “seating clinic”.

The whole purpose being to get a new seat cushion for my butt.

While there I tried out a new wheelchair.

A motorized one.

It would make things thing so much easier.

It was faster.  No one had to push me. It turned on a dime.

I was suitably impressed.

I didn’t want it.

My chair, with all the work that I have to put into it, is the only exercise I get.

The push of the wheelchair keeps me motivated to want out of it.

I understand why Pete said that a motorized chair could make me lazy.

It wouldn’t make me LAZY. It could make me COMFORTABLE.

Which is almost worst.

So, all of that to tell you why I don’t use the software.

Maybe if I used it because I wasn’t improving I could see it,.

If I was ok with only being this good

But, I’m better than I was six months ago.

I’ll be better six months from now.

Not because Dragon Dictates isn’t a fantastic piece of software.

It’s because it was a little TOO fantastic.

I felt comfortable with it.

That can be a bad thing.

, ,

32 Responses to being uncomfortable

1. Arjun Seth (@standingidlyby) August 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM #

@anissamayhew just "stumbled upon" http://t.co/Cf5BudC … oh the places she has gone and will go! #goanissa!

2. adventuresinbabywearing March 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM #

You rock. You are so right.

Steph

adventuresinbabywearing´s last post…Small Style- The hot chick

3. Sara G March 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM #

People tell me… write with your left hand… I refuse unless I really must which is rare. I need to keep trying. People tell me… change your car to drive, move the pedals so you can use your left foot… I refuse. I will drive when the time is right. I will keep trying to do all I can. You motivate me and we will keep trying. Thanks for your post Anissa.

Sara G´s last post…Siesta Scripture Memory Team for 2011 Verse 6

4. Bella March 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM #

Such courage and determination offers inspiration to your readers, friends and family!

Thank you for sharing.

5. Thatgirlblogs March 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM #

I was just feeling sorry for myself because I have an earache. Now I feel like an asshat.

6. Carley March 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM #

Okay, that totally makes sense, now that you put it that way…

7. Grumble Girl March 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM #

You can do it all, lady… I’m so freaking proud of your recovery, Anissa! Wooooooot-woooooot!!! xox

Grumble Girl´s last post…Japan Rocks

8. Kristi March 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM #

What Jenn said. ^

9. Sharon Heg March 15, 2011 at 12:37 AM #

Y’know, I have worked with dozens upon dozens of people who have had strokes. You are one of the most motivated people I have ever, ever had the pleasure to “meet.” You just keep on doing what you’re doing!

Sharon Heg´s last post…Finding the Humor in Colonoscopies

• Anissa Mayhew March 15, 2011 at 9:46 AM #

That means so much coming from a therapist because i know you have to deal with the issues I have at work and you still choose to read me in your off time.

xoxox

10. carol anne March 15, 2011 at 12:35 AM #

Thank you for sharing your story. I’m a relatively new reader. Reading along and following your progress helps me to remember that I can get through this and that there are others out there struggling and working to get better too.

I understand what you mean about being too comfortable. While I was still in the hospital my husband told me I should write about this experience every day. I’m so glad he did. It’s given me impetus to do something every day. To do something every day. It’s something to be accountable to. I could easily sit around all day and watch TV and feel sorry for myself. Writing about this experience keeps me motivated.

carol anne´s last post…365 Days of Carol Anne Learning to Love Myself

• Anissa Mayhew March 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM #

I’m so glad you wrote. It’s a therapy all it’s own. I’m always struggling right along with you.

You can email me and we can support each other.

11. Kim/hormone-colored days March 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM #

I love this, Anissa! I think working through or away from discomfort is really important. I think as parents we need to keep this in mind as well. It’s so tempting to want to rescue our kids, keep them happy and make things easy for them, but they need to learn and experience discomfort as well.

Kim/hormone-colored days´s last post…It Gets Better- Property Sluts Episode 16

• Anissa Mayhew March 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM #

It’s a hard lesson to learn, but it’s part of being a parent. We get this chance to show them how to handle the tough crap the best we can.

12. Erin March 15, 2011 at 12:00 AM #

This post just makes me realize that I have a lot to learn. And you, my dear, are a fantastic teacher.

Erin´s last post…The Hunchback of Suburbia

• Anissa Mayhew March 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM #

We’re a pretty lucky pair that we have each other to learn from, huh? Cause you’re fairly amazing too.

13. Kristin March 14, 2011 at 6:38 PM #

And, this attitude is why you are a kick-ass heroine in a wheelchair. You can and will continue to fight to improve. Way to go Anissa!

Kristin´s last post…Happy Pi Day Yall

14. Jen March 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM #

I know exactly what you mean. My mom is always trying to get me to give in and use such-in-such product or try a new contraption; to make my life easier. But if I use all the bells and whistles and help, then I’m doing a lot less on my own and for myself. I’m become comfortable. And, yes, that is a bad thing.

Great post Anissa

• Anissa Mayhew March 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM #

It’s hard because I know your mom is only trying to do her best to help but GOOD FOR YOU for taking the hard road. It comes with its own rewards!

15. Penbleth March 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM #

Good for you. You have a wonderful spirit, you inspire me.

Penbleth´s last post…Cool cloudy days make for a sleepy night

16. Nancy March 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM #

You are such a fighter! You put 98% of us walkers to shame. (I have to assume that there are some motivated indiviuals out there. 2% has to account for marathoners) You are something that most are not, dedicated. Oh, and your are f*&kin’ classy.

• Anissa Mayhew March 15, 2011 at 9:29 AM #

I was never this dedicated when I had two good legs. Don’t take legs for granted.

Ohhhh….you may have just sparked a blog post! lol.

17. mapsgirl March 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM #

I love your spunk!

18. karengreeners March 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM #

Right on.

karengreeners´s last post…Turning Pages

19. Judy Oyhenart March 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM #

But also because the non-motorized wheelchair and the non-automatic typing represent HOPE. Hope that this is temporary or will get better. Accommodating is a nod to the unspeakable idea that it might not. Kind of why I kept hair potions on the counter all the months and months I was so sick and did not have hair. Hair gel was hope; cleaning off that counter was admitting defeat. So, I totally hear on this one!

• Peter Mayhew March 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM #

Yep. This IS a temporary event. This too shall pass.

We’re getting through this.

Peter Mayhew´s last post…Milestones

20. marathonmom March 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM #

I totally get and respect that. Good for you!

marathonmom´s last post…Not much progress there

21. Susan @WhyMommy March 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM #

Nicely done. I can see the changes in your writing too — and it’s all good.

Susan @WhyMommy´s last post…Mama- let’s go see the stars

• Anissa Mayhew March 15, 2011 at 9:25 AM #

Thank you for seeing the changes! It’s always one of the reasons I keep writing.

22. Karianna March 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM #

Very wise and very strong. I wish I could say I’d make those same decisions, but I bet I’d fall into the “lazy” category.

Karianna´s last post…Overthinking Oatmeal

23. Jenn March 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM #

Oh, to have ONE ounce of your discipline, girlie. I would take over the world.

• Anissa Mayhew March 15, 2011 at 9:23 AM #

If that same discipline applied in the face of Girl Scout cookies….