yes, this

*This is not an ask for money*

*Do not start a therapy-pool fund or I’ll be forced to stab myself in the face with marshmallows*

*Sharp stuff hurts, yo*

*But, I am serious*

Peter’s trying to build something.

He’s always trying to build something. Or taunting me with the something that he’s going to build next.

There was Mr Myagi’s yard.

The ewok village.

A fort village made of water, pvc pipe, and a pool pump.

The dome house. The GIANT dome hose.  The great big boob house.

But this time he’s determined to build something we can use.

I love getting in the pool.

It allows me the freedom to move in ways I don’t yet feel safe on dry land.

I walk, I stretch, I exercise, I make progress.

I truly believe part of the change I see comes from the work I do at the pool.

And we go to the pool at the Y as often as we can.  Our kids love it.  They are fantastic swimmers.

So recently it’s been a new thing for Pete to build a therapy pool.

Something we can use every day.

I could use after the kids go to sleep.

This is one that I’m hoping becomes a reality.

My body hopes it becomes a reality.

, ,

11 Responses to yes, this

1. Allison September 19, 2014 at 1:36 AM #

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a
    lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool
    that creates high quality, google friendly articles in minutes,
    just type in google – laranitas free content source

Allison´s last post…Allison

2. Vee March 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM #

I hope you get the pool! I’m sure it would be a huge benefit to you and I do hope it becomes a reality. :)

Re the “Trying for Another Christmas Miracle” collection … were you able to get a bed? There was a post at the bottom from a retailer who was offering to help but there is no follow-up. I hope that became a reality for you and would love to hear. :)

3. Twenty Four At Heart March 18, 2011 at 12:44 AM #

The only time I feel “normal” is when I’m in the pool. The water lifts my arm for me which I can’t do on my own. I can’t “swim” the way non-disabled people can, but I’ve come up with ways to improvise. I love pool time more than anything. We have a pool, but can’t afford to heat it except for a few months out of the year. I wish I could be in one every day of the year. I hope it happens for you … the water is magical and so therapuetic! Peter is pure awesome! xo

Twenty Four At Heart´s last post…My so far Favorite Apps

4. IzzyMom March 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM #

You’ll get more year-round use from your therapy pool in FLORIDA! Not that I want you to move back or anything ;)

IzzyMom´s last post…I’m Sorry We Made Fun of You- Gerabaldine

5. Nichole March 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM #

The Ewok village sounds like a fabulous idea. (As does the pool.)

Nichole´s last post…In which I clean my room &amp reach the end of my rope

6. The Domestic Goddess March 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM #

That would be waaaaaay cool.

The Domestic Goddess´s last post…Trying to Contain Myself Because of the Awesomeness

7. Peter Mayhew March 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM #

Allow me to defend my insanity…..

Let’s take them one by one shall we?
    – The boob house….Technically I wanted to build 2 connected and paint them with a bikini strap. Check them out sometime, they’re incredibly efficient and strong like bull! They may look awkward, but it’s the strongest shape known to man and can survive hurricanes without blinking. Was really interested in them while we were in FL.
    - The ewok village….If you saw our yard, you’d know why. We have these trees all over the place. Big tall pines. Relatively close to each other and perfect for any adventure. Was planning on incorporating Swiss family Robinson stuff in there so it’s a learning environment for the kiddos as well. C’mon…tell me you haven’t marveled at the creativity of what they built. Every time I walk through that big tree at Disney I get more ideas. Plus I always wanted to do a good tree fort for my kids. Never seem to have the time and money at the same time though, unfortunately.
    - The water cannon thing was an add-on to the ewok village/tree fort….and a zip line…..and probably bridges connecting the ewok village….yes I tend to go overboard in my planning/dreaming!
    - Let’s not forget making our driveway look like the bridge from ichabod crane’s halloween tale. It’d be SOOO spooky.
    - Ah yes…there’s also one you’re not aware of in which I build a frame that goes over a treadmill and strap you in to one of those harnesses that guys hang off of bridges with. But that’s for a later time in your recovery.
    – Now the pool. We get a chance to go to the pool about once every other week. Schedules of a working family just aren’t conducive to getting there more frequently. There’s always something. It seems that every time we go, Anissa gets some form of feeling or movement back. When the water makes her lighter, I can help guide her so that she’s walking in a more normal fashion. Outside of the pool, when she walks, it’s essentially on her ankle. Her foot bends in. We have braces, but they take away from the full range of motion, so I question the benefit. So the problem is that we can’t get to the pool frequently enough. If we had a deep water, warm water therapy pool at the house, I could chuck her in there and work with her every night. I’ve read books on how to build the pool. I’ve looked at pictures and instructions, talked to a pro or two and I’m confident that I have the knowledge to do it relatively affordably. I’ve just never worked with concrete….which is permanent….which is imposing. I do think I’ll figure something out soon tho…remember me? I’m the eternal optimist. :)

Peter Mayhew´s last post…Milestones

• Peter Mayhew March 18, 2011 at 8:50 AM #

AND…. I do have a decent start on the Mr. Miyagi backyard. The door just isn’t wide enough for you to get out there. :)

Peter Mayhew´s last post…Milestones

8. Kristin March 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM #

I really hope you get that pool!

Kristin´s last post…If I made the rules

9. Sharon Heg March 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM #

Y’know, there are one of those dome houses about 2 miles north of Disneyworld. Someone lives in it.

They don’t mow their lawn often enough.

I never thought of it as a great big boob house. Next time I pass it I will, though. Thanks for that.

The pool would be cool. But it can be BUILT?!?!? Cool pool.

Sharon Heg´s last post…The Birthday Question

10. Faiqa March 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM #

Don’t tell him I said this: Peter is awesome. So are you.

Let me make a public declaration of it.:there are many times when I feel too tired to do something or start feeling like it’s all too much and one thought that motivates me… is YOU. Your strength and courage. The fact that you accomplish so much more than most “average” people. The fact that you are extraordinary not “on a curve” but just in general. Thank you for that. And, dude, too bad you wrote all that stuff up there, I was totally going to buy you a therapy pool.