Disney Dream, part 2

We came. We saw. We ate a lot of chocolate.

Something Good!

There was incredible time in the AquaDuck. There were kids’ clubs that left the grown ups alone and we indulged in that one thing every parent can never get enough of.

Hot dinner!

Disney Dream 1

Disne Dream 2

DD3

dd5

dd6

There was tons of great times on the ship, but it was the time spent on Castaway Cay that was priceless.

That was also when the camera died, and with no cellphones, we were left to just enjoy the sun and water.

And sun.

Lots and lots of sun.

Did I mention it was sunny there?

I’m NOT wearing a shirt!

Downside:

• No doors on the Disney Dream had handicap access so it was always tricky getting in/out.
  • There were several areas that were uneven and had no notification or there were places that caused my wheelchair to jerk me to a halt.
  • Because there were a large number of kids on board, so we had to deal with kids running out in front of me, almost getting hit, pushing the wheelchair out of the way, and remembering where there are lots of kids, there is lots of noise.
  • I expected the Internet at-sea to be slow, but it was very anti-Apple anything (mac, ipad, touch), even to the point they offered me a pc laptop if I continued to have problems connecting (but it was only for work, only twice twice a day, so MEH)

Upside:

• Trading my wheelchair in for a Sand-Chair allowed me to go, not only to the sand, but sit in the ocean for the first time since my strokes.  It was incredible.
  • Wave phones! When we were out at sea it was too expensive to have our cell phones with us. Each room comes with two phones that work anywhere on the ship.
  • Every restaurant, store, play area, EVERYTHING we tried had a handicap ramp, even if the doors weren’t handicapped accessed
  • Kid Club Safety – the hoops you have to go through to get a child into a kid club is nothing compared to getting one out. Each child is fitted with an electronic wrist band they keep for the duration of the cruise. Safety FTW!
  • This is DISNEY!! The do it Disney-style, Disney-speed and Disney-glamor.

What it boils down to is the fact that a Disney Cruise is meant for families.

And for families, it’s a glorious treat!

, ,

21 Responses to Disney Dream, part 2

1. amanda August 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM #

HI Anissa!
    i am sorry it took so long for me to be able to look you up! i was the hair-stylist on the disney dream that cut all your locks off! (i hope by the way it still looks amazing!) it was awesome meeting you and learning about your story, i have lieteratly spent like the last 45 minutes reading past blogs HA your a charecter. i’ll be sailing/working on the magic soon (if you get a chance to go on vaca there look me up!) your deff an inspiration bc of how determined you are! i hope everything is well wiht you and i look foward to a time where i may get a chance to do your hair again! tata for now! ~Amanda

2. Kati Strong May 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM #

Wow, a sand chair. How wonderful for you to have the freedom to cruise the beach and to enjoy the ocean again. Lizzie has been coveting one of those! Was the chair provided by the cruise ship or was it something that can be rented on the shore?

• Anissa Mayhew May 4, 2011 at 11:05 PM #

The sand chair was provided by Disney on their own private island.

But I hear there are ones that you can rent to use on the beach. I know i saw them in Daytons and Tampa. I’d assume anywhere they have beach rentals thay’re going to be somewhere.

3. Penbleth April 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM #

Sounds fab, mostly, apart from the disabled access. I would have expected better from Disney. I’m glad you had a good time.

Penbleth´s last post…Normal is just so fleeting This time

4. Dawn Tucker April 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM #

Hey Anissa, Happy Easter! Hope you all enjoyed the weekend even half as much as you enjoyed the cruise. It sounds like you all had an awesome time and that sunburn looks ….. well it all looks a bit much actually!! But it shows off the white sundress (that you’re not wearing) just fine!

We’re going on a quick 4 night cruise (Amsterdam and Copenhagen) this weekend with a couple of friends. Leaving the kids behind with the 20yr old in charge (feel free to pray the house is still standing when we get back!). Upside – we’ve never seen either city and the food will be great. Downside – I’ll miss the Royal wedding. And being the romantic that I am, I would like to have seen it. Hope they show the highlights on board.

One thing is certain. I won’t come back the same colour as you. In fact I think it may even be due to rain. Hope NOT!

5. Adrienne April 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM #

The first time we took my mom on a cruise in her wheelchair we had to fashion a seatbelt for her out of a huge mans leather belt. The thresholds were KILLER. I ended up getting very adept at the hop skip tip the front wheel up while pushing step LOL.
    I wish we had known about a sand chair that sounds Awesome!

Adrienne´s last post…Spring Has Sprung

6. Deb @ San Diego Momma April 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM #

You sold me with “hot dinner.”

Would you describe in greater detail the warmth of the meal? So nothing was congealed and an hour old? You didn’t have to cut other people’s meat?

Did you also drink beverages WITHOUT straws?

In addition, I like your white sundress.

(The cruise looked fun to the max.)

Deb @ San Diego Momma´s last post…Guilty Pleasure Songs

• Anissa Mayhew April 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM #

There was nothing served “and cheese” at ALL!

I know.

It was like a dream.

Between not having to cut food and phones not going off, that meal will last a lifetime.

7. Ellen - Love That Max April 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM #

On our Disney cruise I also learned that Disney magic/pixie dust does not protect you from sunburn.

Glad you otherwise enjoyed! They really treat you like royalty on Disney, coming back to reality is h-a-r-d.

Ellen – Love That Max´s last post…How other kids treat kids with special needs- It starts with the parents

8. Lisa April 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM #

There’s definately enough skin from your burn to make a zombiemom. Yikes! Your wheelchair needs a big Disney theme umbrella attached to it next time.

Your post makes me consider a Disney cruise. Maybe those extra shifts I picked up…

• Anissa Mayhew April 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM #

DUDE!

I AM the zombiemom!

I won’t kid you, it’s worth it. Seeing our kids light up is extraordinary, but we had no idea how much we, as adults, would enjoy it.

• Debbie May 3, 2011 at 12:08 AM #

We were on the Disney Dream for spring break in March. It was FANTASTIC! So much so that we have booked a week long cruise on the Phantasy for July 2012. For what it’s worth, this was our kids’ second Disney cruise. It was my husband’s and my fourth Disney cruise – we sailed on the Wonder twice without our kids… These cruises can be for adults only too. There are many spots on the ships that are “adults-only” as well as on Castaway Cay. :)

9. elizabeth liu April 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM #

Holy smackers, that burn looks….well, it looks impressive! That’s no “walking from the car across the parking lot to inside the Target” kind of burn. That is a “I went on vacay, folks, check this sucker out!” kind of burn!

10. Rachel - A Southern Fairytale April 24, 2011 at 7:05 PM #

YAY for the upsides!

and OWIE

11. moosh in indy. April 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM #

I’m sold. But I’ll be bringing sunscreen. Good hell woman.

• Anissa Mayhew April 24, 2011 at 11:16 PM #

Moosh’s grin on her first Disney Cruise? *thunk*

12. Kate, aka Guavalicious April 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM #

Ouch! That sunburn looks like the one I got on my first cruise. Hopefully you were able to get some aloe vera at a reasonable price.

Kate, aka Guavalicious´s last post…Modern Parenting – Easter Plans

13. Susie April 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM #

So happy to hear of your awesome vacation, Anissa! But seriously, if Disney wants to be truly handicap-accessible, they need to fix those doors. It just makes no sense. I hope you pointing out that fact will mean REAL changes will be made…

Now go get tomorrow, lady, like you always do…

• Anissa Mayhew April 24, 2011 at 7:34 PM #

Those doors are always a downer. I hope they DO make those changes, but it was SWEET!

14. Dave2 April 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM #

I was without a family for my Disney cruise and still had a great time! It’s hard not to have a great time when Mickey Mouse visits you while you’re eating breakfast! So happy you enjoyed it. :-)

• Anissa Mayhew April 24, 2011 at 7:31 PM #

Actually, you’re not the first person to be happy Disney cruising without kids.

It helps that you’re a big kid yourself!