why pretty is like pez (and @Chookooloonks)

Strokes aren’t pretty.

They aren’t.

I’m not.

Now, I can hear you sputtering about how I should find mysel beautiful, and I do.

I’m just not PRETTY.

Pretty can fade with time.

Pretty is swallowed by ugliness in your soul

I’m beautiful.

It’s a trait I’m learning to say without feeling that it has to be hidden.

I’m beautiful.

I’m the role model to little girls who are growing up in a world that values the PRETTY, not the BEAUTIFUL.

I’m beautiful.

The part of me that still laughs.  The part of me that cries in frustration, then gets up to try again. The part would rather look ugly, but honest.

THAT’S BEAUTIFUL.

********************

My friend Karen has an amazing way of seeing the beauty in everyone.

If you haven’t tried to say KAREN WALROND FROM CHOOKOOLOONKS after a stroke, you should.

That was fun.

Thanks for that, Karen!

, , , ,

29 Responses to why pretty is like pez (and @Chookooloonks)

1. jsys.town-web.net May 7, 2016 at 10:04 AM #

Clash Royale is a real-time multiplayer head-to-head battle online game with your preferred Clash of Clans personalities.

jsys.town-web.net´s last post…jsys.town-web.net

2. Steven April 16, 2016 at 11:02 PM #

Nearly every Finest Titanium Apartment Iron talked about above has basic usual
    attributes.

Steven´s last post…Steven

3. Julieta June 28, 2015 at 6:26 AM #

In an online world where reputation is every little thing,
    cheaters can do actual damage outside of the game.

Julieta´s last post…Julieta

4. www.bem-ev.de June 28, 2015 at 6:04 AM #

I concur mostly, yet the nature of free-to-play games
    does imply that there might have been some reason to presume real financial losses.

http://www.bem-ev.de´s last post…http://www.bem-ev.de

5. theatrical lighting May 27, 2015 at 8:11 PM #

Orkut Designer Blog – Learn about Adjustments, apis and also events connected to the Orkut
    designer system.

theatrical lighting´s last post…theatrical lighting

6. Kristin October 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM #

I love, love, love this and love seeing so many of the gloriously beautiful women I know in it.

Kristin´s last post…I am that 1 in 4…

7. Iris December 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM #

I am blown away by this post and this video. Can’t wait to show this to my daughter. Thank you for reminding us to celebrate our differences!

Iris´s last post…The Golden Rule of Gossip

8. For every gloriously beautiful woman I know I wrote this http://freeanissa.com/al & then I was shown THIS http://youtu.be/M6wJl37N9C0

9. Neena May 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM #

Not only are you beautiful – but you also possess incredible strength.

It’s that strength that gets you past the pretty and let’s you see the beautiful in yourself.

Sometimes we are our own biggest obstacles.

You are one amazing lady!

Neena´s last post…New Double Decker Oreo

10. Becky May 21, 2011 at 8:10 PM #

WOW – for lack of adequate verbage to describe. Absolutely awesome!

And this is what I will be teaching my daughter!

The little girl down the road grew up to be a truly beautiful woman, the likes of which is rare!

You rock girl!

11. Lindsay May 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM #

Thank you so, so much for this post. This is exactly what I’ve been thinking about in the last few weeks and this sums it up beautifully. Being pretty is nice – but being beautiful is what is really special; what is really important.

12. Heather May 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM #

Not sure if you have seen this video – Katie Makkai at a poetry slam talking about the word “pretty” http://youtu.be/M6wJl37N9C0

• Anissa Mayhew May 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM #

OMG! She is amazing. That is exactly what I feel!

13. Hollie May 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM #

I sent your post to my teenage daughter. I want her to read your line about pretty being like candy. YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love always enjoy your blog, but this one blew me away.

14. Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} May 21, 2011 at 8:05 AM #

I love this post. That is all. :-)

15. Jared Karol May 20, 2011 at 11:24 PM #

thanks for writing this. You are inspirational in so many ways. . .

Jared Karol´s last post…If You Can Screw In a Light Bulb You Can Build a House

16. Kristin May 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM #

You are most definitely beautiful and both you and Karen rock my world.

Kristin´s last post…Vics Story- part 4

• Anissa Mayhew May 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM #

You share you beauty here and that’s a gift. Thanks!

17. Charisse May 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM #

LOVE THIS!!! We are all pretty.We need to embrace that idea and really strive to believe it. It’s tough. I think I am real pretty most days. Until I walk outside and am surrounded by TRULY pretty people outside my sircle.

Charisse´s last post…Easter – QUITE late

18. Miss Britt May 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM #

I love the crap out of this post, just so you know.

And yes, you are beautiful.

Miss Britt´s last post…Shine Away

• Anissa Mayhew May 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM #

I love the crap out of you. That is all.

19. Penbleth May 20, 2011 at 12:14 PM #

A beautiful video of beautiful women. How great to see one women celebrate their own and others’ beauty.

Penbleth´s last post…The day of reprieve is here Hurrah

• Anissa Mayhew May 21, 2011 at 10:45 PM #

It was a gift that Karen was able to that.

20. D Jones May 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM #

If you haven’t read the Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith, I highly recommend. It is very funny, and really puts in perspective the real meaning of beautiful.

21. Ali May 20, 2011 at 10:44 AM #

You’re right. Beauty is a choice.

22. lceel May 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM #

Each and every one a beauty. Thank you, Anissa, for sharing this. You, my Dear, are a Doll.

lceel´s last post…Haiku Friday – Vilnius

• Anissa Mayhew May 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM #

I’m glad I was able to share them with you. I know they made my day.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What you should check out today | lindsaymuller - May 21, 2011

[...] Jo-Lynne, shared some things she’d found.  I checked one of them out: a post by “Free Anissa” on being “pretty.”  If you’ve been reading my posts lately you’ll [...]

2. Good Reads - May 21, 2011

[...] why pretty is like pez (and @Chookooloonks) :: #FreeAnissa Pretty is like candy.  It’s good, it’s fun, you want some, but it won’t FEED you. [...]