From our house to the hospital it was over an hour and a half drive.
Totally worth it, when it’s your child.
Part of Peyton’s “roadmap” called for her to undergo cranial radiation.
- daily hospital trips for the radiation at the hospital OVER AN HOUR AWAY
- proximity to hospital if there were complications
- she still had to undergo her normal chemo routine
We were lucky that right by our hospital was, not one, but two Ronald McDonald Houses.
We were able to reserve a stay at the RMH that allowed us to:
- make our own meals every night (each family was given pantry & fridge space)
- do laundry (there w/d available whenever you needed them)
- have guests (friends came to visit and the family came on the weekends)
There were so many reasons to make this time as less-traumatic as possible, but the main thing is what you see in that picture. (THAT ONE)
THEN I HAD TO LEAVE.
In that room, strapped to that table, with that mask on her face. Alone.
It was bad for her every day.
It was bad for me too.
We made it through our time.
It’s year behind us.
But I never forget leaving that hospital and after Peyton went to sleep every day, I cried.
For her fear.
For not being able to make it go away.
Then I dried up those tears and we had our RMH fun.
“Join Us for 1” is rooted in the foundation of our Charity; it all started with one. One child who needed health care. One family who hoped to stay nearby. One community who came together to build the very first Ronald McDonald House. And now, one person, one penny at a time can make a difference. So, throughout the month of June we are asking our loyal supporters, to “Join Us for 1” on July 1.
1. Learn more about this campaign and the meaning of the number one by visiting our website and clicking on the red navigation bar at the bottom of the page. Or by reading the attached press release.
2. “Join RMHC for 1” on July 1 by adding just one penny to our RMHC Donation Box at your local McDonald’s. Bring your friends, family and coworkers with you and make it a fun activity for all!
**Side note = for every Happy Meal you buy, a portion of sales is donated to the Ronald McDonald Houses everywhere.