the power of a word

I am a strong believer in the power of a word. word art

Um.

Duh??

But I have really strong feelings regarding people that use words to hide.

I hear people who bury themselves behind things like. “I had a really rough childhood.”

You know what? So did I.

There was the adoption/abandonment issue. There was the  growing up Asian in a 99.9%-white-community-race thing. There was the bad-toucher that was part of my life far longer than bears saying.

I see people complaining about the crap that’s happened in their lives.

Really You wanna go there?

My fist stroke? Or how about when my baby got cancer. OH, there was that time I WAS IN A COMA. That would be the two strokes that left me handicapped. Only able to use one side. With double vision. Partial deafness.  I have to type with one hand and my left hand at that.

And my cat got stitches in his butt.

Yeah, I get to win that one too.

*sigh*

It’s not that I don’t look at those around me and feel compassion for their pain. Cry for their loss. Weep for their struggle.

Each and every damn time.

It doesn’t matter if MINE is less or more than YOURS.

It hurts. That’s all that matters.  Let it hurt. Let it ache. Let it sting like a sonofabitch.

But don’t use that THING as a reason.

Don’t let it be your excuse.

Don’t BE less. Don’t DARE less. Don’t ACHIEVE less.

Wipe your tears, get off your ass and do.

Do something.

ANYTHING.

31 Responses to the power of a word

1. Read Article February 21, 2015 at 4:49 AM #

Hi there, Tidy publish. It has an trouble with your website in web adventurer, may possibly examine this specific? IE still is the market industry chief and also a big component some others will certainly omit the excellent creating for this reason dilemma.. Read Article

2. Chunky Mama June 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM #

Wow.
    Love this!

3. Clark Kent's Lunchbox June 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM #

Well then, I’m not even going to bring up what happened to the fish. Somehow I get the feeling you’d win that one too.

“No excuse, Sergeant!” We said those words a lot in the Army.

Great post Boss.

4. Ron Mattocks (@CK_Lunchbox) June 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM #

How do you use words?. @AnissaMayhew says you can hide behind them as an excuse. "The Power of a Word" http://j.mp/ihTY0g

5. IzzyMom (@IzzyMom) June 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM #

The Power of a Word http://freeanissa.com/2011/06/the-power-of-a-word/ via@anissamayhew [Read it, know it, live it]

6. Julie Shaner June 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM #

So true……at some point have the pity party and then move on……….as my friend says life isn’t fair, fair is where you get cotton candy………make the best and know you have the strength to go on………and at some time it willget better. When God closes a door he opens a window but itis hell in the hallway….

7. DMs Mommy June 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM #

A-MEN! Cancer, two hip replacements, a thyroid cancer scare, a diabetes scare AND we’re still hanging in there. Life doesn’t stop for us and it will never stop so all I can do is my best to keep my families head above water and a roof over our heads. I know that it could always be worse. How much worse? That IDK but it can be. You inspire me and I hope you know that!

8. Shab June 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM #

Awesome. Thank you for this. Thank you thank you thank you. You are an amazing example and anyone with just an ounce of your courage and strength is in a great place.

9. Diane Brogan (@dianebrogan) June 25, 2011 at 7:00 AM #

Great thinking. RT @AnissaMayhew I WROTE THIS: the power of a word – http://goo.gl/j9F9u – Do something!

10. Heather June 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM #

Beautiful and if you only knew how apropos this was in my life today!! My sisters and I grew up in the same household and yet somehow her “horrible childhood” is the reason she is where she is today. Love ya tons chickie!

11. Crabby Mommy (@thecrabbymommy) June 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM #

Love this post from @AnissaMayhew http://bit.ly/kblqBL

12. meghan June 24, 2011 at 6:57 AM #

Preach it sister. I don’t have a thing but I hate it when people let it define them as a person. You are the perfect example of someone that can take an awful thing and shed light and laugh about it. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend at Type A Con

13. Christina June 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM #

This reminded me of what I told my caregiver today. It not the pain or who has suffered more olympics. It’s called life. I agree.with you wholeheartedly.

14. Hilary June 23, 2011 at 5:06 PM #

My husband and I recently had this discussion. I am 30 years old and often times on Facebook or other social networking sites I will see people around my age, but often times much younger using the term FML (F*** my Life). I’m sure most of you know what that means, but I didn’t at first.

The context they use it in is ridiculous. It’s not like they say, “I have cancer….FML” or “My best friend was in a car accident, and he is in really bad shape….FML”. No….often times those are the people who are posting things like, “Please send prayers” or “Thanks for all your support”.

The people using this “saying” say things like, “OMG….my parents grounded me for a week and took away my phone….FML” or “My car broke down, and my boyfriend broke up with me….FML”. I don’t know, maybe I am taking this too seriously, but I think that saying F*** my Life is a horrible thing to say, think, or publish. Probably the majority of people don’t actually “mean” what they are typing, but to the mother who types “FML” because her newborn baby woke her up four times last night sometimes I want to say, “Really? I just lost a baby, and there are so many others who have been though similar struggles and would LOVE to be woken up at 2am by a newborns cry….”.

Anyway, your post hit home for me, so I am de-lurking to rant. So sorry!! I admire you, Anissa, and your family for all you have gone through. You have handled it all with a sense of grace and beauty that I can only imagine having, had I faced similar circumstances.

• Karen June 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM #

Amen!! I have a 50 year old sister in law who writes status’ like “My car broke down, FML.” and it takes everything in me to not write back “Really? Really? You have a beautiful home, 2 healthy children, a loving husband and you are in great health. How about instead of ‘FML’ , you get down on your knees and thank God for all your good fortune and blessings.” But, I don’t. It would be useless. Instead, I look at people like Anissa and get inspired.

Anissa, you rock.

PS Hilary, I’m sorry for your loss.

• Hilary June 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM #

Thanks, Karen. I guess it’s just one of my pet peeves, but every time I see someone write that for some stupid reason I can feel my blood pressure rise. lol

15. Penbleth June 23, 2011 at 4:24 PM #

Well said, Anissa. No more excuses.

16. Kristin June 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM #

You ROCK my dear! Keep kicking ass and one day you’ll rule the world!

17. Christine June 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM #

I needed to hear this today. Thank you.

18. Mrs RW June 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM #

Right on, sister! I have little-to-no patience with people who use their history as an excuse for everything. Everyone has the ability to control how they react to circumstances – lie down and give up or decide to overcome their circumstances. I have a lot more respect for people who succeed despite their past history.

19. Karl June 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM #

I really needed to hear this. And will probably need it again tomorrow.

20. Daisy Dexter Dobbs June 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM #

So glad I discovered your blog. Saw you on Twitter first and got curious. Definitely not disappointed. :) Loved this post!

21. lceel June 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM #

Yes, ma’am. I hear and obey.

xoxoxo

22. CynGagen (@CynGagen) June 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM #

This post was one of the most powerful things I’ve read in a long time. I hope I have half her strength! http://ow.ly/5oKQS

23. Becky June 23, 2011 at 10:56 AM #

That beauty you were talking about… Yep, this is some of it!

24. Sherry Carr-Smith June 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM #

EXACTLY.

I try very hard not to compare my childhood/world/circumstances to others’ experiences. But. BUT, at a certain point the things that happened *to* you can’t define who you are or dictate your actions. At some point you have to put on your big-girl panties and get on with it. Mostly this applies to bad stuff in someone’s childhood that they still use as an excuse to be an idiot when they are in their 30s.

So, yeah, exactly what you said.

25. Karen from Chookooloonks June 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM #

HELL yeah.

26. I WROTE THIS: the power of a word – http://goo.gl/j9F9u – Do something!

27. Barbara L June 23, 2011 at 6:50 AM #

This says it all so well. And no one can say you don’t know what you are talking about!

28. the power of a word http://dlvr.it/XTLJN