Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees

Dear people going to BlogHer, NOT going to BlogHer or wondering “WTH is BlogHer?”,

Last year, Peter and I got on a plane and flew to NY to be at my first event post-strokes.

NY was loud, it smelled funky and being able to be there was glorious.

Being anywhere was glorious.

Since that time I’ve been to:

Asheville

Tampa

Nashville

New Orleans

California

Detroit

with plans to be in Denver and L.A.

This isn’t a post to brag about all the traveling I’ve done this year.

It’s about reminding people: YOU ARE ONLY AS LIMITED AS YOU LET YOURSELF BE.

I’m in a wheelchair.

I snore.

I have a weird schedule.

I’m a chronic over-packer.

Nobody’s idea of a dream traveler.

I’m also weird-looking with my crooked face and taped glasses.

Conferences are difficult because they’re loud and it’s hard to hear or be heard.

Because handicapped bathrooms are hard to find in hotel EVERYONE has seen my girly hair….to the point I’m thinking of having the Batsignal waxed there to keep it interesting.

Point is, talk to that person, go to that place, try out that thing, do that stuff, laugh with that stranger.

Whether you’re at BlogHer or the car wash.

Leave feeling GLORIOUS.

Best,

Anissa

p.s. Your skirt is tucked in your underwear.

, , , , ,

59 Responses to Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees

1. magpie August 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM #

but i’m not wearing a skirt :)

good to see you – the aiming low party was excellent excellence.

2. Run DMT August 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM #

Girl, your strength amazes me! :-) I’m hosting Tampa BlogHer on August 27 at The Pub. I hope to see you there, but try to keep your girlie parts hidden, please. ;-) xox

3. susan payton August 3, 2011 at 9:49 AM #

See you there, baby!

4. Alice August 3, 2011 at 9:49 AM #

WAIT A MINUTE. You mean to tell me that not every attendee gets a Brazilian wax before they arrive?

5. coffee with julie August 3, 2011 at 9:30 AM #

I saw you at BlogHer last year, but didn’t want to be all drool-y all over you and everything about how great you and your writing are. But this post? Next time I see you, I won’t be able to stop myself from drooling all over you — you are simply too cool not to. (I’m not at BlogHer this year, but I’m there in spirit. Have a glorious time! You glorious person, you!)

6. I WROTE THIS (a couple days ago, but it seems important) –> Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees – http://goo.gl/QHcIc

7. BlogHer Conferences (@BlogHerEvents) July 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM #

Must read! Then heed! Esp. the note about the shirt. RT @AnissaMayhew Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees – http://t.co/T7g6QQr ~Polly

8. Lindsay Dianne July 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM #

This was lovely. Thank you.

9. TechyDad July 26, 2011 at 4:03 PM #

TheAngelForever and I were at BlogHer 2010 and I saw you twice, though I chickened out on saying hi. Sadly, TheAngelForever and I won’t be at BlogHer this year. It’s ok, though, because we’re giving ourselves a 10th anniversary vacation to Disney World! Without the kids!!! (My parents will be watching them.) Sorry, but spending 5 days kid-free with my wife in Disney World beats any blogging conference. ;-)

Still, I hope to see you (and say hi to you) at some future conference.

10. Angella July 25, 2011 at 11:13 PM #

I can’t wait to hug you next week! Love you, lady.

11. Miss Britt July 25, 2011 at 11:07 PM #

You know, I loved you before your stroke, but now you’re all inspirational and shit on top of being funny and fun. Somehow, I think I love you even MORE now.

Well, that might be because you pay me now.

12. DogsDontPurr July 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM #

Thank you! I am only partially crippled, but use a walker or a cane. So I know….I really know what you are saying. Before this happened to me, I am ashamed to say, I was one of THOSE people who would shy away. I didn’t understand why handicap parking was so important, why making everything ADA friendly was so important. But now I know. I know.

I’d really like to know if there is an opportunity here…a business potential (and trust me, I don’t mean this in an exploitative(?) way)…. to make things for handicapped people that don’t look so f**ing medical. Like making canes and walkers look cool. Foot wear that looks more like “f**k me pumps” than your grandmother’s shoes (but that are still therapeutic and walkable.)

There are so many people like us. There are also young people coming home from the wars who are now disabled. I think there is a need and a market, but I don’t know where to begin. Or if these people care about that. But I always think, “good enough” is not “good enough.” You know?

If this strikes a cord with you, or you have thoughts/ideas on this, please email me. I’d like to know your thoughts. Thanks!

• Anissa Mayhew July 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM #

Your email is wrong so I can’t get back with you, but YES there’s a market no one pays attention to.

13. marathonmom July 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM #

love that. Hope I get to meet you someday!

xoxoxo-
    mm

14. Julia Roberts July 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM #

Well, I think you should get a wax.

15. Nicole Feliciano July 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM #

Great reminder to make the most of the day and the conference!

16. One Savvy Mom!™ (@savvycouponmom) July 25, 2011 at 2:54 PM #

Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees – http://t.co/Ma4QsKA via @AnissaMayhew << Must Read Blogger!:) SO FUNNY and totally keeps it #Real

17. Dave2 July 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM #

I don’t find your weird-loooking at all. I find you uniquely beautiful.

And how did you know I was wearing a skirt?

18. annie parker (@bitterdivorcee) July 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM #

If you are worrying about going to #BlogHer11 or not being able able to go, @anissamayhew wrote this for you: http://t.co/RTXjZfr

19. SarahInMI July 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM #

Love this. My wallet (and the fact that my wallet is still crying over the trip I took to California already this summer) is stopping me from going to BlogHer… But, I’m not too terribly emotionally scarred… I’ll miss everyone lots, though… But…There’s always next year.

20. Devan McGuinness (@AccustomedChaos) July 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM #

LOVE this post by @anissamayhew –> Dear #BlogHer attendees & non-attendees http://bit.ly/oTGZb7

21. Hanan (@LilacCityMomma) July 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM #

Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees – http://goo.gl/QHcIc via @AnissaMayhew

22. If you are worrying about going to #BlogHer11 or not being able able to go, I wrote this for you: http://t.co/RTXjZfr

23. Faiqa July 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM #

Do you know how many times in a week I feel too tired/bored/scared to do something and I think of you and it makes me get up off my ass and just do it?

A lot. A LOT.

Goodness, being your friend makes me tired.
    XO

24. Deborah (@TruthfulMommy) July 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM #

Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees – http://goo.gl/QHcIc THIS IS what a real life HERO looks like! @AnissaMayhew

25. Truthful Mommy July 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM #

Anissa,
    You are amazing and you just put everything in perspective for me. You ARE my shero! When I grow up I want to be funny, fabulous and balls to the wall JUST like You mama! My biggest regret about not being able to go to BlogHer is that I WONT get to meet you..cause I know you would’ve made time to give my crazy ass a hug right?LOL
    XO

26. Kizz July 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM #

Last year was my first Blogher since it was in my hometown I couldn’t resist. I saw you speak but I didn’t talk to you, didn’t want to bother you was my theory. I LOVED that panel, though.

This year I’m headed to San Diego and I will talk to you. Just figured you should be warned. Even though you’re the one who told me I should speak to anyone I wanted to. Thanks for that, by the way, I need reminding.

27. Alexis July 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM #

Thank you! We all need the occasional reminder to seek the glorious in every day. I hope to meet you in San Diego! I think we share a shift in the Serenity Suite. :)

28. Anastacia (@jurgen_nation) July 25, 2011 at 9:35 AM #

I don’t know if I could love @AnissaMayhew more. "Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees" – http://goo.gl/QHcIc via

29. Julie July 25, 2011 at 9:31 AM #

Loved this. So true that we ourselves can hold back from just about anything. Thank you for the inspiration. :)

30. ChristiS July 25, 2011 at 9:22 AM #

You absolutely rock! You blow me away!!

31. Lisa July 25, 2011 at 1:05 AM #

I so had a glorious day today and then came home and read this.
    Not a Blogher attendee but hey-there’s always a first time right? I draw the line at waxing down under there. My legs are crossed as I type this.

32. Kristin July 24, 2011 at 10:46 PM #

BEST ADVICE EVAH! Can not wait to see you at the Aiming Low Party!

33. Momo Fali July 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM #

You’re awesome. But, let’s pretend I didn’t say that. I don’t want you to get a big ego, or anything.

34. Nicole @MTDLBLog July 24, 2011 at 7:57 PM #

I LOVE this. Such a fabulous testament to live your life to the fullest no matter what. Well written! And you are funny to boot! Love it.

35. Laurie July 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM #

I ♥ this post.

36. Nancy Wurtzel July 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM #

Hey,
    Yes, you are indeed a “bad-ass heroine” as Lizz P has just written. Glad I read your post today and I subscribed to your blog. Can’t wait to read more, and would love to meet you at Blogher. How will be know each other? You have the advantage as you will be in your chair. You won’t find me by my avatar since I have never looked that good before or since I had my picture taken — and it took an army to make that whole look come together. Here goes: I will be the shortish, very confused-looking bleach-blond, baby boomer blogger. I am a Blogher virgin — late to blogging (like most things in my life) and wondering if I will ever figure out where I’m going in life. As you can see, I blog mainly about myself. Well, it will be easier if I hunt you down…but I promise not to hurt you when I do find you. See you there! Nancy

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:36 PM #

Well, definitely plan to be at the Aiming Low “Come As You Are” party Sat night 9-11. We’re hosting that shindig and it will be a blast.

37. JJ July 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM #

Thanks for this! We all (ie me) need perspective. I’ll make sure to say hello, or block the open stall door as the case may be ;)

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM #

You’re so welcome, I hope I get to have you block a bathroom for me.

38. Becca - Our Crazy Boys July 24, 2011 at 7:33 PM #

LOVE this. You’ll know if you cross my path, because I’m the one who’s gonna give you a BIG stalker hug :)

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:32 PM #

Not if I big stalker hug you first!

39. Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees http://dlvr.it/cQpvQ

40. Anne (Nota Supermom) July 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM #

Not the Batman logo–Wonder Woman. Tiara shaped?

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM #

BRILLIANT!

41. Sherri Kuhn (@OldTweener) July 24, 2011 at 7:01 PM #

This? Changed my whole perspective on #Blogher11 RT @AnissaMayhew: Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees – http://freeanissa.com/av

42. Sherri July 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM #

This? Is the best thing I’ve read in days!!

Love, love this!

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM #

TY! You don’t read on the toilet enough, tho.

43. Tricia July 24, 2011 at 6:54 PM #

Thank you for that reminder. It’s hard to remember sometimes that no matter what you’re doing you should be finding the joy in it. You help me every day to remember that fact, no matter what comes my way. I thank you from my heart. You are awesome.
    Tricia : ) x

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM #

You are the very definition of glorious!

44. annsrants July 24, 2011 at 6:53 PM #

I remember hugging you outside of Sparklecorn last year. This year I plan to spin you on my palm.

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM #

Who would have thought at Sperklecorn we’d BOTH be hosting an event!

I love you dearly, and you have reservations for a hug!

45. Karl July 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM #

I haven’t seen you since your going-away party in Tampa, and am having withdrawals. And I think the bat signal would be totally appropriate for your girly bits. Hope you have a great time at BlogHer this year. Wish I were going.

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM #

I will miss you, you know my room is always open for a snuggle!

46. Dawn July 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM #

this is glorious.

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM #

you + me = love

47. Chunky Mama July 24, 2011 at 6:19 PM #

Love this. :)
    I wanted to attend BlogHer this year, but the funds are limited.
    Hopefully I can go next year, and maybe meet YOU? :-)

• Anissa Mayhew July 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM #

Maybe a cheaper opportunity will come up where we CAN meet. *crosses fingers*

48. Lizz P (@libismorgan) July 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM #

I have a new bad-ass heroine! MUST READ: RT @AnissaMayhew: I WROTE THIS: Dear @BlogHer attendees & non-attendees – http://freeanissa.com/av