in case you were gift-buying

Having a vision problem and only one hand to use, my love of books was something I had to let go of.

When I say “love of books” I mean that I used to have five kids and sold two to get the newest release I was waiting on.

These three are just glad the Harry Potter series is over.

Losing myself in the turn of pages was something lost to me.

Until I found this:

Kindle on Amazon

Now, forget that the Kindle is more expensive and pretty much a fun toy.

THIS MADE BOOKS POSSIBLE AGAIN.

The kindle app let’s have it for free on most of my technology.

Kindle apps

Things the Kindle can do for me:

• size fonts (so the words can be obnoxiously large)
  • available on my Blackberry phone so I can hold it one-handed.
  • get books any time from online and I don’t have to go into stores (or wait)(this CAN be a bad thing)(I love you, honey!)

This is definitely one of those things that I recommend to a lot of people.

If they are able to get an actual device you can get the words even larger, making reading less difficult for the vision-impaired.

So, the next time you’re thinking of throbbing manhoods heaving bosoms that hard-to-buy-for person, keep these in mind!

, , , ,

9 Responses to in case you were gift-buying

1. Maura/@CountessMo September 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM #

I love my Kindle and my mom loved hers for the very reason you do. It made reading best-sellers SO much easier for her, as they’re hard to find (not to mention more expensive) in large print.

Maura/@CountessMo´s last post…In The Bag

2. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) August 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM #

I WROTE THIS –> in case you were gift-buying – http://t.co/CbpMhoz

3. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) August 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM #

I WROTE THIS –> in case you were gift-buying – http://t.co/CbpMhoz

4. Peter Mayhew August 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM #

Hint noted.

5. CJ August 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM #

It also has text-to-speech, which made me covet it because then I could stealthily listen to books while at work. I don’t know how well it works because I can’t afford a Kindle at the moment, but it seems like a plus.

• TechyDad August 31, 2011 at 10:37 AM #

If you want to listen to books, you could always get audio books, convert them to MP3 format and play them on your MP3 player. My wife gets audio books from the library and does this all the time. (She deletes the MP3 files when she returns the audio books since we are just borrowing them, not purchasing a copy to keep.)

TechyDad´s last post…Wordless Wednesday: Disney Over The Years

6. TechyDad August 30, 2011 at 1:34 PM #

I wonder if this would work for my mother. She has double-vision (permanent, from birth) and reading bothers her eyes. Especially on a computer screen.

I’ve used their free PC version and love grabbing the free books that pop up every now and then. Well, some of the free books. For some reason, most of the free books seem to be romance novels.

TechyDad´s last post…The Intersection of Build-A-Bear, Star Wars and Harry Potter

7. Penbleth August 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM #

I agree, I love my Kindle. I still read paper books but it doesn’t stop me reading the Kindle. It is a great supplement and I love the ease of use. Shame about the ease of spending money on new titles.

Penbleth´s last post…It’s the last week – breathe a sigh.

8. in case you were gift-buying: Having a vision problem and only one hand to use, my love of books was something I… http://t.co/0qQcSS1