taking volunteers to be my first passengers

1996 OldsThis was my first car.

Without the paint job.

And rims.

And sound system.

And backseat.

BUT JUST LIKE THAT! (I was so gangsta’)

In the past there have been sporty little cars and behemoth SUV’s.

Of course, now there is a minivan that I ride in, but can’t drive.

Pete was at a store when he saw a woman in a wheelchair come out to her car.

The woman transferred because her legs were obviously affected.

With the wheelchair seated by the driver’s side door, Pete prepared to go help (cause he’s Pete).

THEN.

What he’d thought was a luggage rack on top of her car moved over, lowered, strapped to the wheelchair, then lifted the chair to the roof of her car and secure it.

She drove away.

ALONE.

BY HERSELF.

INDEPENDENTLY.

I have a goal of getting the double-vision to stop (it’s hugely improved) and if I can learn to type with the wrong hand then car controls will be no big deal.

I’m going drive myself again.

You watch.

I will.

, , , ,

11 Responses to taking volunteers to be my first passengers

1. Kathykate August 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM #

SHOTGUN!

2. Susie August 17, 2011 at 5:07 PM #

I have no doubt, Anissa, that anything you set your mind to, you’ll accomplish. Just look how far you’ve come already. Now go get tomorrow (like you always do)…

3. kyooty August 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM #

I was watching a TLC program something about pregnant and disabled? I think, and they had a huge TRUCK for a woman that had been in a car accident. Huge, and she also drove unassisted. I can’t remember it was maybe about a year ago?

4. HeatherS August 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM #

I believe you will! I’d ride with you, for sure. You’re too funny not to.

5. Kristin August 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM #

I have no doubt you can do anything you set your mind to…including drive again. And, while I would definitely volunteer to be your first passenger, I totally think you should auction off the chance and help pay for the vehicle.

6. Amy B. August 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM #

When this happens, you should totes auction off “first passenger” rights to raise money for a stroke organization.

7. JJ August 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM #

You are one tough cookie. And I like cookies. You can DO it! I’ll ride!

8. robin August 16, 2011 at 10:10 AM #

I am in awe of your strength and determination. Watching you gives me strength, too!

9. Paula Petelle August 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM #

There is no doubt in my mind that you will drive and I would gladly be a passenger!

10. Diane Brogan August 16, 2011 at 9:49 AM #

I was told yesterday that if the mind can conceive it, the body can do it. Go for it and you can do it. Look at how much you have accomplished already :)

11. Diane Brogan (@dianebrogan) (@DianeBrogan) August 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM #

Go for it. RT @AnissaMayhew: I WROTE THIS: taking volunteers to be my first passengers – http://t.co/vv5Llyx