faith and the Holy Dude

I’m sort of having issues with this post.

I don’t mean to offend those that feel deeply religions.  But I don’t mean to offend those that are atheist too. Because I belive both have a place in God’s plans.

God. That’s the name I grew up with.  Yahweh, Mohammed, Christ, Jesus, Higher Power, Gary.  These are all names used to represent out soul’s need to give a human TITLE to someone not human.

I believe that FAITHFULNESS is what matters to (we’ll call him the “Great Dude” for lack of other name), not RELIGION.  RELIGION is the pomp and circumstance, the ritual, the choice to be Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, etc. FAITH is the inner need to have a guiding force in your life, stripped of everything but you and the force.

For me, FAITH is what makes  RELIGION possible. Never the other way.

RELIGIONS can be totally different and disagree. FAITH is always the same.

I celebrate Thanksgiving.  Even though “my people” were off eating kinchi somewhere.

I celebrate Easter.  Even though I’m pretty sure that chocolate and candy have nothing to do with the story of the crucifixion.

I celebrate the 4th of July.  Even though I’ve never served in combat or personally fought for our freedom.

I go to church. Even though I don’t agree with everything they teach, I enjoy the ritual.  ABSOLUTELY.

Sometimes hearing thing told in the voice of “I’M RIGHT, I COULDN’T POSSIBLY ANYTHING BUT RIGHT, AND IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE I’M RIGHT YOU’RE A STUPID-HEAD” is what I need to hear to hear the Great Dude say “that’s great if it’s what makes ALL these other people faithful.  But it doesn’t work for you and that’s ok too.”

Before you quit sputtering and write me a nasty comment, remember this.

STOP!

Stop trying to put the Great Dude into a box that you are comfortable with.

Stop trying to make the Great Dude FIT you.

Stop trying to make your RELIGION the one and only and appreciate the Great Dude for giving us the ability to have FAITH.

, , ,

19 Responses to faith and the Holy Dude

1. Jess October 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM #

What you said!!!

2. Dan Perez (@danperezfilms) (@danperezfilms) September 26, 2011 at 1:40 PM #

Terrific read > RT @AnissaMayhew Faith and the Holy Dude http://t.co/RJEqoDaE #religion #faith

3. Kristin Cruz (@dragondream) (@dragondream) September 26, 2011 at 7:43 AM #

A brilliantly simple post about the difference between religion and faith http://t.co/tztqxqn4 from @AnissaMayhew

4. Kristin September 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM #

Brilliant post

Kristin´s last post…The Knees Have It

5. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) September 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM #

THANKS! "@danperezfilms: Great read > RT @AnissaMayhew Faith and the Holy Dude http://t.co/Z73eUOqJ #religion #faith"

6. Dan Perez (@danperezfilms) September 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM #

Great read > RT @AnissaMayhew Faith and the Holy Dude http://t.co/RJEqoDaE #religion #faith

7. carol anne September 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM #

I’ve always felt that religion is kind of like mythology, each culture has their own way to the Holy Dude (or dudette). Faith is more personal, each person has their own way to the Holy Dude (or dudette).

I’m a Catholic. I love mass because I feel like it connects me to the generations before me and those who will come after me. I like being part of something ancient and eternal. But these reasons are also why I love working on genealogy, I feel connected to a greater whole. My ancestors survived against great odds so can I. (I hope) I’m sure this will sound blasphemous to some but I have as much faith in those who came before me as I do the saints in heaven.

carol anne´s last post…365 Days of Carol Anne

8. Mary September 20, 2011 at 2:46 PM #

I love it – Great Dude. I’m borrowing that one.

People have always tried to get The Dude to fit in a small box. I think many have a hard time comprehending the incomprehensible, so they squeeze him down to as small a concept as possible. Sometimes they let other people tell them what size and shape The Dude is supposed to be, and because they want to belong somewhere they nod their heads and agree. Then because what they’re hearing causes them some cognitive dissonance, they try to convince themselves that what they’re being told is true by trying to force other people to believe it too.

I love going to church – like you, I love the ritual of it. I love taking time out of my week to go sit with other people and thank The Dude, to spend some time where my focus is on The Dude and not the million other things in my daily life that distract me from considering His Dudeness.

Loved this post.

Mary´s last post…Lonely

9. Colleen - Mommy Always Wins September 20, 2011 at 2:21 PM #

“The Great Dude, in any religion, is beyond our understanding. Beyond our ability to at attempt to fathom.”

YES. We are just humans – certainly not the last in a line of some greater plan. Maybe one day there will be a species with the ability to understand God but we are certainly not it. We each need only be concerned with our own relationships with God (or Allah or Gary) and not other people’s.

Colleen – Mommy Always Wins´s last post…Thoughts on goals. And having them. Or not.

10. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) September 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM #

Yesterday –> http://t.co/LGdlW80Y

11. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) September 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM #

Yesterday –> http://t.co/LGdlW80Y

12. Sunday September 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM #

I like it. “Faith is what makes Religion possible”. Makes sense to me.

13. Trina @ Walking With Scissors September 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM #

I completely agree.

Trina @ Walking With Scissors´s last post…Celebrating Moon Festival with a Giveaway!

14. robin plemmons September 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM #

We know the same dude.

15. Christy September 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM #

I REALLY needed to read this today. Thank you!

Christy´s last post…No vacancy

16. The Domestic Goddess September 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM #

Amen. And I don’t mean that as a pun (ok, I totally do).

Seriously, people need to stop making THE DUDE fit into their version and stop trying to change THE DUDE to fit what they want. It doesn’t work that way. And it makes one look like an ass, you know?

The Domestic Goddess´s last post…Actual Unretouched Conversation With Bug Boy. I Can’t Make This Shiz Up.

17. goteeman September 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM #

Couldn’t agree more… thanks for sharing…
    G

18. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) September 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM #

I WROTE THIS at Free Anissa –> http://t.co/LGdlW80Y

19. faith and the Holy Dude: I’m sort of having issues with this post.
    I don’t mean to offend those that feel deeply… http://t.co/g5kSkpcd