i’m not really very smart, i just hire REALLY SMART PEOPLE

Before I had the strokes I was about doing as much as I could as often as I could.

After I had the strokes I STILL wanted to be able to do it all.

But with one working arm, the wheelchair and the unholy love of coffee to deal with, I just knew I couldn’t.

It was so hard.

My mind still wanted to go fast, but my body just couldn’t keep up.

I learned a valuable lesson in letting go of control.

There were limits to what I could do.

Putting the right people in place got the same jobs done.  But got them done better. Let their genius shine.

And WHAT a glory it is to see!

It also let my brain go at the speed it wanted.

It has been incredible to see.

****************

I’m over at Babble today : Apple PI: Parenting a Math Genius

Thank you, Janet, Britt, Faiqa, Robin, and Sugar for letting my brain go.

, , , , , ,

19 Responses to i’m not really very smart, i just hire REALLY SMART PEOPLE

1. robin plemmons September 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM #

Your brain continues to amaze me. It also makes me dry heave on occasion. I like that in a person.

• Badrun June 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM #

I am profoundly gfeatrul to you for this post an important reminder of the fleeting nature of time and a call to remember to engender each moment with meaning.I have a theory about time. When we are young, it seems to pass slowly (anyone else remember church services or math classes feeling positively endless?) because each hour comprises a relatively large percentage of our lives lived up to that point. As we age, and our hours of experience increase, each moment represents a relatively smaller percentage of our lives. Time seems like it’s worth less, just another measure of speed. And maybe that’s why we forget to cherish it.How do we reset the balance, make the living of each moment slow down enough to be worthy of remembrance? I wish I knew. I really wish I did.

2. @anissamayhew reveals the secret to her continued success. http://t.co/tFUe1pn5

3. Kristin September 18, 2011 at 6:52 PM #

You may not think of that as being smart but I think it’s being brilliant.

Kristin´s last post…He’s Got A Girlllllfriend!

4. Julia Roberts September 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM #

I’m partial to this post because I work for you. Granted, I don’t do that much, but still.

• Anissa Mayhew September 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM #

You coming to see me at therapy was the start of a beautiful friendship

5. Schmutzie (@schmutzie) September 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM #

I love me some Anissa – http://t.co/Dngtco15

• Anissa Mayhew September 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM #

I love me some Schmutzie too!

6. missbanshee September 17, 2011 at 2:13 AM #

I adore you. I will never forgive myself for cancelling our meetup in NYC right before the damn strokes. I’ll make it up to you someday, beautiful lady. COMA SISTERS 4EVA!

7. IzzyMom September 17, 2011 at 2:00 AM #

I spend an inordinate amount of time musing over your brilliance. Of course, hiring me is a shining example of said brilliance…but seriously, you’re one of the smartest people I know and I’m not just saying that.

• Anissa Mayhew September 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM #

You complete me!

8. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) September 16, 2011 at 4:55 PM #

i’m not really very smart, i just hire REALLY SMART PEOPLE – http://t.co/PgH31NxW @Izzymom @MissBritt @Faiqa @CoolWhipMom @RobinPlemmons

9. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) September 16, 2011 at 4:55 PM #

10. Moms Who Blog (@momswhoblog) (@momswhoblog) September 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM #

i’m not really very smart, i just hire REALLY SMART PEOPLE http://t.co/hAYAygzh

11. Megan September 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM #

Control is just an illusion anyway. And hiring brilliant people just means you’re brilliant yourself for recognizing their genius and letting them shine.

Megan´s last post…Beach Town

• Anissa Mayhew September 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM #

Does that mean I get to take credit for their brilliance??

12. schmutzie September 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM #

Love this. Love you :)

schmutzie´s last post…Five Star Friday’s 164th Edition Is Brought to You By Charles Bukowski

• Anissa Mayhew September 16, 2011 at 10:16 AM #

I would link to every one of you because you have just rocked more than I would have believed possible