Invisalign: What Happens When You Miss Appointments

So this was supposed to be a different post.  But it seemed fairly important to share as the parent with Invisalign trays.

Before school started Nathaniel got brackets on his teeth to start moving his teeth because of the wicked overbite problem he suffers.

But the adhesive didn’t work for whatever reason and we had to make as appointment to have them reattached.

We cancelled appointment #1 because Nathaniel was sick.

We cancelled appointment #2 because *I* was sick.

There was a trip out to CA.

There were scheduling fiascoes with three kids.

Sports.  School. Other appointments.

Boiled down:

• Peter thought Nathaniel was wearing old trays.
  • I thought Nathaniel was still wearing new trays.
  • Nathaniel thought all cookies came from angels.

He wasn’t wearing any at all.

*FACEDESK*

At his orthodontic appointment we found out that his teeth had MOVED from his lack of wearing trays.

Thankfully, they are very firm about always keeping the trays when you are finished because (as we found out) YOU MIGHT NOT BE FINISHED WITH THEM.

The missed appointments have caused his teeth to regress and we DO have to go back several sets of trays, but it an easy process of finding which ones fit and start with those.

And staying on schedule.

Disclosure:

While I am paid for my time, my opinion is my own and is never for sale.

You Got that?? MY OPINION IS MY OWN.**

I’m a member of the Mom’s Advisory Board, and my son received complimentary Invisalign treatment.

******************************

You can read me Babble: Being A Hospital Parent: Part 1

, , ,

11 Responses to Invisalign: What Happens When You Miss Appointments

1. Lia September 30, 2011 at 9:55 AM #

Aaaannnnddd…this is why my dentist doesn’t recommend Invisalign for most teens. He prefers to do it on adults because they tend to be a lot more compliant. To get the benefits, you need to wear the trays for 22+ hours a day. A lot of kids forget or don’t want to deal with removal and brushing every time they eat or drink anything other than water.

I had invisalign myself 2 years ago and yes, while it was a hassle at times (I brushed my teeth in more dodgy restrooms than I can count), the end result is worth it *because I followed instructions*. My son wants them now — I know I will have to ride him to make sure he follows through, but when you pay more than standard braces cost for the convenience of Invisalign, you need to make sure you’re up for the work.

2. Melissa September 26, 2011 at 1:51 PM #

So when his invisalign treatment is all done – what prevents the teeth from moving back at that point? Are there retainers after that, like with traditional braces?

Melissa´s last post…Holy Crap a Preschooler!

• Anissa Mayhew September 26, 2011 at 4:04 PM #

Fairy dust sprinkled nightly by angels!!

Kidding.

There are retainers.

• Melissa September 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM #

Damn. I was hoping for fairy dust vs more responsibility for retainers. I lost mine as a teenager, I won’t mention that when I lay down the law for my girls not to lose theirs if we end up with braces/retainers as I suspect we will.

And thanks for documenting Nathaniel’s journey – I love real accounts of product use, it’s so much better than hoping the reviews you’ve read are accurate. Thank you.

Melissa´s last post…Holy Crap a Preschooler!

3. Moms Who Blog (@momswhoblog) (@momswhoblog) September 26, 2011 at 1:47 PM #

Invisalign: What Happens When You Miss Appointments http://t.co/uzG9083Y

4. Susan in the Boonies September 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM #

I am hoping hoping hoping that I might be selected to be one of the new members of the Mom’s Advisory Board. I had no idea that you were a member till I read this post!

Oh, thank God you saved those trays!!!

*FACEDESK* made me smile! :-D

The kid I’d love to have get Invisalign is a 17 year old. We’re starting to look at colleges, as of last week. Where has the time gone??? And, at age 17, will he be responsible enough to communicate with us in regard to his trays? Or will Nathaniel be forging a trail as the Invisalign Responsibility Mentor for him???

These are the things I wonder about…

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Off to College???

5. The Domestic Goddess September 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM #

So I totally need braces and am contemplating invisalign. I hope I’m organized enough to see it through because DUDE. PRICEY.

The Domestic Goddess´s last post…Things I Love Doing a WHOLE BUNCH (Ps – it’s Opposite Day)

• Anissa Mayhew September 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM #

I was actually surprised to find out that the Invisalign trays were only going to cost about $500 more than traditional braces. And we have the same same monthly payment.

6. Invisalign: What Happens When You Miss Appointments: So this was supposed to be a different post.  But it seemed… http://t.co/5xvLIi5G

7. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) September 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM #

I WROTE THIS at FreeAnissa –> http://t.co/lJLOgfoB