the 5 best decisions of my adult life

My friend Karen tweeted this.

Then my other friend Schmutzie wrote this.

So I drew this:

Noah's ArkNot really, but I thought about it.

The question was asked: what are the 5 best decisions of my adult life so far?

• To stay pregnant
  • Bungee-jumping
  • Deciding to write it all
  • Bread bowls
  • Not giving up

To stay pregnant – I was in the position of having to choose to be a mother when I wasn’t prepared or married.  I made the choice to stay pregnant and it started me down this path to a life I NEVER WOULD HAVE CHANGED.

Bungee-jumping – dancing every chance I got, parasailing, learning to surf = these are all other things I did before I had the strokes and don’t regrat NOT doing when I had the chance.  Because I did them.

Deciding to write it all – it took my daughter being diagnosed with cancer for me to decide to start writing it all down.  OK.  In all honesty, that was when I started letting other people read my words. I have never stopped.  Not because I think my words are so important, but I feel the need to get the words out.  They are a fountain you can never stop.

Bread bowls – the day I had the strokes that changed my life, I went out for soup instead of going home. That choice to be out with people who would call an ambulance and not at home alone probably made all the difference.  Yes.  Bread bowls saved my life.

Not giving up – I was laying in bed with my 7yo the other day when I got sick of her whining about how hard subtraction was.  “I can’t do it!”  I lost my temper. Walking hurts.  Learning to sit up was hard.  Letting someone help me do things I was used to doing for myself is embarrassing. I didn’t want to be in a wheelchair.  I didn’t WANT to do everything one-handed. I DON’T EVER WANT TO HEAR HER SAY SHE CAN’T DO ANYTHING. Because one of the best, hardest, constant, most challenging decisions I’ve made is to keep trying.

photo credit :link

, , , , ,

22 Responses to the 5 best decisions of my adult life

1. DerekBMackel July 20, 2016 at 8:39 AM #

I think everything typed was actually very logical. However,
    think on this, what if you added a little information?
    I ain’t saying your content isn’t solid., however what if you added a post title to possibly get
    a person’s attention? I mean the 5 best decisions of
    my adult life | #FreeAnissa is a little boring. You could look at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they create article headlines to get viewers interested.
    You might try adding a video or a picture or two to grab
    people excited about what you’ve written. Just
    my opinion, it could bring your posts a little livelier.

DerekBMackel´s last post…DerekBMackel

2. Dan Perez (@danperezfilms) (@danperezfilms) October 2, 2011 at 2:20 PM #

The 5 Best Decisions of My Adult Life http://t.co/9ABPVWHq via @AnissaMayhew

3. Stephanie October 1, 2011 at 7:04 PM #

Holy crap – to stay pregnant… I was in that situation – I made that decision but I never felt it was a CHOICE until those words slapped me in the face. Best friggin choice I ever made! Now I’m married to that Daddy and there are 2 of those awesome choices. Awesome.

4. Penbleth September 30, 2011 at 4:15 AM #

What great decisions and good advice for your child, lots of things are hard – keep going.

Penbleth´s last post…A different sort of pattern – then splat.

5. Kristin September 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM #

Wow…I think I may have to join this bandwagon. What a phenomenal post.

Kristin´s last post…To All My Fellow Geeks

6. Kristin Cruz (@dragondream) (@dragondream) September 30, 2011 at 12:18 AM #

the 5 best decisions of my adult life – http://t.co/pGWZLLzU via @AnissaMayhew

7. Karen Walrond (@Chookooloonks) September 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM #

Loving @anissamayhew’s 5 best decisions of her adult life: http://t.co/s5aeBCkA A few lessons there for me, too.

8. Dion September 29, 2011 at 9:30 PM #

I have went through post and discovered fascinating details solved the problem in getting the very best answer that i’m looking for. I have to believe that we should have no doubt, though, despite kids never really understanding the truths we have to impart but by just watching your tenacity and persistence. Great share!

Dion´s last post…How to Lose Chest Fat for Men

9. Donna September 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM #

I’ve followed your Twitter and read your blog for awhile, but never commented. You are such a strong person and truly an inspiration. Now I am going to think about my five. Thank you.

10. meghann @ midgetinvasion September 29, 2011 at 2:35 PM #

I’ve been thinking about this, and thinking about this, and I don’t have five. I can’t even really come up with one. I’ve made a ton of stupid decisions so far on my life path. I haven’t thrown in the towel yet, so I can that can be one.

And I made an apple pie the other day for no reason. That’s wasn’t too shabby of a decision, either.

meghann @ midgetinvasion´s last post…Webcam Shenanigans

11. Anissa Mayhew (@AnissaMayhew) (@AnissaMayhew) September 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM #

@nancy_martira carbs are very important! http://t.co/YcC5kWkQ

12. Nubian September 29, 2011 at 1:03 PM #

Love this. Going to post my five today.

13. Chloe September 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM #

I wish I could say something more meaningful than, “This was great.”

I stand amazed at your tenacity and refusal to feel sorry for yourself. I stand amazed at your bravery in putting your words out there and letting them stand on their own merit. And stand they do. In fact, though you might never bungee-jump again, your words often bungee-jump out at me from the page and become these real things that make me glad I found you out here in the ether.

Chloe

Chloe´s last post…Give the people what they want

14. Susan in the Boonies September 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM #

Bread bowls saved your life: wow! That is an amazing thought.

When I think of the pain I could save my kids if they would ONLY LISTEN TO THE WISDOM I HAVE TO IMPART, I nearly go crazy.

I hate it that they have to make the mistakes and learn life lessons on their own: I could give them such a head start, if they’d only believe me!!!

I have no doubt, though, despite MY KIDS never really understanding the truths I have to impart, that your daughter IS learning stuff from you, everyday, just by watching your tenacity and persistence.

But it still sucks when they whine.

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Hummus

15. the 5 best decisions of my adult life: My friend Karen tweeted this.
    Then my other friend Schmutzie wrote this…. http://t.co/ZgXO88dZ

16. justirish September 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM #

I know I’ve told you this before, but I just love your blog! You inspire me. xo

17. Donna September 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM #

Who knew bread bowls were not only tasty but a life saver?

18. JW Moxie September 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM #

Yours is the second that I’ve read so far (Schmutzie’s was first), and they’re both so powerful.

As for me, the first three popped into my mind instantly. I have to give some thought to the last two. I’ll probably save them up for tomorrow’s blog post.

JW Moxie´s last post…Because of What Could Be

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Talk of the Parent Blogosphere, Epic 2011 Year in Review Mom and Dad Blog Post Roundup | Type-A Parent - December 31, 2011

[...] Anissa Mayhew @AnissaMayhew of Free Anissa: the 5 best decisions of my adult life [...]

2. The Small Things « Where Do We Go From Here? - October 14, 2011

[...] this one by Rachel @ Eggs in a Row, about the best decisions of her adult life. I followed her link here to what she’d read, and then here to what she’d [...]

3. Fertility Free Friday: The Best Decisions Of My Adult Life « Eggs In A Row - October 14, 2011

[...] read this yesterday and was blown [...]

4. Wild in the City » Blog Archive » The 5 best decisions of my adult life - September 30, 2011

[...] read this post yesterday and was touched and inspired. The author of that blog, which I just discovered, seems [...]