I felt like Michelle Duggar going into a Lamaze class.

Granted, I was at Bloggy Boot Camp for a different reason than a lot of the attendees, but I did get the slightest feeling of the WIZENED OLD LADY in the bunch.

The old lady who always has a kleenex in her purse. And a piece of candy.

Maybe I should feel experienced.

I felt old.

I mentally wrote a sponsorship deck for an up coming branded event while they were teaching people how to get readers.  (Secret: better than any trick with your blog is spend time being a better writer and stop worrying how many readers you have)

This was the first conference of any kind for a lot of people and they might not have realized what I was doing with my funny answers to Amy’s panel questions.  But more than getting her laughs, I was getting her retweets.

I did my part on behalf of the MOM’S ADVISORY BOARD and spoke genuinely about being part of it. Being the mom of a 13yo with Invisalign trays and it being more responsibility than just getting free trays for my son.

I got to meet Tiffany Romero, the woman behind BBC, and was relieved that she wasn’t confused or slightly scared of my humor.

I usually don’t call out anyone by name but I have to give props to Maddie.  Homeslice drove in and brought me cupcakes!!!  The best cupcakes EVER. Like if unicorns and angels had weird inter-species orgy these cupcakes would be the lovechild.

So, besides feeling ridiculously old and sugar-high, it was a great opportunity to hear the stories of other people and keep “blogging new” by experiencing their experiences.

Maybe THAT’S the answer to the question about how to get readers: first be an “experiencer” so you have something worth reading.

**************************

At Babble Voices I wrote about not being a “bad mom”

, , ,

13 Responses to I went to #BBCAtl (Bloggy Boot Camp Atlanta) and there’s still cupcake icing in my bra

1. Susan in the Boonies October 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM #

My favorite part of being with you was sitting WAY higher than you at the table in the bar, and then swapping chairs so I could be right at your level. Good to catch a glimpse of other people’s boobs: that’s what I say!

Also, when your boobs started tweeting and buzzing.

Not that I noticed, or anything. :-D

How great it was to meet you, Anissa!

I came home and had them carve on my left big toenail, so I’ve been hobbling around like a zombie ever since #BBCATL, and kind of out of it, which would also make me a lot like a zombie.

Come to think of it: if I WERE a zombie, you’d be lucky I didn’t eat your brains while I was sitting next to you. On the other hand, sitting in a chair with wheels, I’m pretty sure you could roll faster than I can run, with my gimped up foot.

At least…on the downhill slopes….

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Atlanta and Zombies Go Together Like a Coke and a Smile

2. BalancingMama (Julie) October 24, 2011 at 11:05 PM #

You make me laugh, and the tweets were divine!

I didn’t know there were cupcakes! Would have been a gazillion times better than the cute but strange dessert we had at lunch.

BalancingMama (Julie)´s last post…"I am from.." (a post from #BBCATL & writer’s workshop)

3. Allison October 24, 2011 at 8:07 PM #

I loved seeing you! Me, being the crazy random person I am, so did not catch you were you until someone said who you were then I was all like, “Whoa! It’s her!” Anyway, I love your blogging. And I don’t know how I missed the cupcakes…

Allison´s last post…All About Bloggy Boot Camp

4. Chloe October 24, 2011 at 7:47 PM #

I sat and watched you firsthand eat those cupcakes with orgasmic delight. It was a sight to behold.

Chloe´s last post…He took my heart to San Francisco

5. chach & nellie (the third boob) October 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM #

meeting you was the highlight of our trip. truly.
    well, that and the free wine if we are going to be honest….. :-)

chach & nellie
    the third boob
    facebook.com/thethirdboob
    @thirdboob

6. Maddie October 24, 2011 at 2:49 PM #

Well I for one am glad you were there. I greatly appreciate your wicked sense of humor and your candor about your Invisalign expereince. Wish I could have done the bar with you but could not giveup a night with my husband- “sleep” is important!

I wll totally admit that I had no idea who I was bringing cupcakes to but will be forever glad to have done so and to have met you… crap that sounds so suck-uppy.. I don’t mean it that way.. so read that with a sneer and full of teenage attitude if it makes it any better.. but the intent is still the same. I am very happy to know you.

Maddie, up the road in Chattanooga

Maddie´s last post…Creative Price Tags a Tiny Tutorial

• Anissa Mayhew October 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM #

i checked to see if you limped!!! i loved getting to know you

7. Janmary, N Ireland October 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM #

Thanks for offering to share the cupcakes – I found some cupcake icing on my notebook afterwards!

Great to meet you, both at dinner on Friday night and during your “cupcake orgy” on the Saturday, – you should come to Ireland – your wicked/dry humour would really fit in well!

It was my first blog conference but hopefully not my last. How many have you been to?

Janmary, N Ireland´s last post…He’s a super SEVEN!

• Anissa Mayhew October 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM #

A LOT!!!!!!!

• Anissa Mayhew October 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM #

I’ve spoken at all the conferences they said they would never go to Friday night!! lololol

8. Sili October 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM #

I did not get a chance to formally meet you as you were all “supastar!” and whatnot but, it was great being in your presence! You’re not old, you are seasoned. And you are also fabulous! ;-)

Sili´s last post…Mami’s Back!