live to the fullest

I’m thankful I had my strokes when I did.

I got to walk down the aisle to my husband.

I wrapped both my arms around my babies.

I danced countless night with my friends.

I’ve driven on the beach in a convertible.

I have a water balloon fight out in the woods.

I’ve done a keg-stand.

I’ve emulated Tom Hanks and performed “Chopsticks” at F.A.O. Schwartz.

I moved into  houses and apartments.

I did the “Walk of Shame”.

I actually went swimming when I put a bathing suit on.

I didn’t want to be in this wheelchair, but at least I know I took every opportunity life gave me.

Now we’re making a new kind of memory.

They’re still awesome.

**********************************

Over at Babble I wrote about 5 ways we make movie time interesting.

No, there are no directions on how to make your kids stay in place.

photo credit

, , , ,

20 Responses to live to the fullest

1. Leila (Don't Speak Whinese) November 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM #

This is why I just simply adore you. Life is full of ups and downs but if we live in the now and live life to the fullest each day no matter what… then we will have no regrets.

Thank you for always being super radcakes.

Leila (Don’t Speak Whinese)´s last post…Life Threatening Food Allergies, Taking Risks and My Daughter Almost Killed Herself

2. Marie November 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM #

I walked. I walked everywhere. All over London, all over New York City, the Boardwalk everyday to keep my size 10. LOVED walking.

Those days are gone, but you are right, I had them. And they are still in my head. I just wish I had the size ten back. If I had to get a crappy disease (MS) did I have to get one that made me fat?!?!

Marie´s last post…Priorities

3. Unknown Mami November 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM #

You made me realize I’ve never done a keg stand. What am I waiting for?

Unknown Mami´s last post…Simply Delicious

4. Sugar Jones November 16, 2011 at 1:35 PM #

Your list of life’s simple pleasures (and embarrassments) is inspiring. Thank you, Wasabi!

My biggest fear used to be going to my grave with too many things undone. I don’t have that fear any more. I’ve learned to live life NOW. Too many people have not yet learned that. We need to go kick their butts.

Love you, girl.

Sugar Jones´s last post…How I Got Blown… and Loved It!

5. @Maggiedammit November 14, 2011 at 9:47 PM #

I adore you.

6. Redneck Mommy November 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM #

I’m grateful I had the chance to meet you. And to be in a car accident with you. And to have you grope my boobs.

Life is good. And while your life may be infinitely more different now, I’m so very glad you are here to teach us all how to live life to the fullest.

Boob grabs and all.

Redneck Mommy´s last post…Rambling Roundup

7. Megan November 14, 2011 at 5:20 PM #

Wow. I’m freakIng out. Saw this post while waiting in the school pick-up line, but couldn’t read it until just now. For some reason, all the way home I was thinking about you and my son, who had a prenatal stroke. I was wondering which would be worse: Having lost certain abilities or never having had them?

I’m glad you got to do all those things, and I know you’ve got some cool things yet to do.

Megan´s last post…Style

8. JW Moxie November 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM #

Having just watched “Big” yesterday and wished for one day having the opportunity to do just that, it’s wonderful to read that you count that moment in your list of things you’re thankful to have done.

This post just begs the question about so many things: what the heck am I waiting for?

xo

JW Moxie´s last post…An SOS Call to Gangstas

9. Janmary, N Ireland November 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM #

What a great attitude – love that you are making new memories.

One of mine was travelling to a blog conference in Atlanta, and meeting you of course!!.

Janmary, N Ireland´s last post…Pinterst Love – a pinterest board

10. Angi November 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM #

Beautifully said. I love your words…every last one of them.

Angi´s last post…Drowning

11. Miss Britt November 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM #

Oh frick. This made me cry. I am SO glad I got to meet you before you had your stroke because I am so, so grateful for the dancing and the laughing and the shopping and, frick, now I’m really, really sad thinking about those memories being gone.

Damn you, lady.

12. the Domestic Goddess November 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM #

I love your perception. Because it makes me put things in perspective, you know?

• Honeysuckle November 25, 2012 at 1:33 AM #

Thanks for shiarng. Your post is a useful contribution.

13. Dawn Tucker November 14, 2011 at 5:34 AM #

So glad the memories are still awesome – with your family I think they always will be!
    You have great perspective Anissa. Here am I on a Monday morning, trying to finish this years accounts for the tax-man, and feeling well just numb actually ‘cos I seem to have been bent over my desk so long doing this on and off all w/end. Yeah I’m just THAT fed up! And of course it’s not my fault that I’ve left them this long to pile up – no def not taking responsibility for that one!!
    Anyway along you come and give me a much needed kick up the backside. Thanks for that. I reckon by lunch time it’ll be a memory that’s awesome in its own right – just because it’ll be DONE! Then I’ll take a leaf out of your book and concentrate on making some much better ones for the future!
    Right, had my caffeine fix, now back to it.

14. Susan in the Boonies November 14, 2011 at 2:29 AM #

I am trying to remember to be grateful. Now why is that such a hard thing to do?

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…How to Smoke Your Holiday Turkey…or…Deck the Hawrs with Boughs of Hawry

15. Susie November 13, 2011 at 11:31 PM #

You’re awesome, Anissa! I love that you’re able to embrace your past memories and now embrace new memories with your family and friends. Your posts always give me something to think about, and I really appreciate that. Whether they make me laugh, tear up or ponder, you really have a gift.

Now go get tomorrow (like you always do)…

16. Tricia (irishsamom) November 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM #

You amaze me every time I read something like this. You remind me every single day when I llaugh at your quirky posts, how short life is and how much we need reminding of that. You give me courage when I feel I’ve run out, you lighten up so many lives and encourage people to keep on living and enjoying life, even after challenges or tragedy. You should be proud of who you are and how you inspire and of your wonderful family. Blessings and thanks.
    Tricia x

17. Ordinary Sarah November 13, 2011 at 8:07 PM #

And I’m SO glad I got to be part of one of your dancing the night away with friends experiences. Long live Coyote Ugly and Blissdom ’09!

Ordinary Sarah´s last post…Military Memories

• Anissa Mayhew November 13, 2011 at 8:20 PM #

I remember meeting you guys for the first time and having so much fun it’s a friendship that has has lasted years!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Is this living? « Scrambled Eggs - November 16, 2011

[...] #FreeAnissa writes such powerful blog entries. She is an incredible woman who has been through way more than I can fathom, yet still maintains an optimistic outlook. Over the weekend she wrote about living life to the fullest. She says: “I’m thankful I had my strokes when I did. I don’t mean I’m glad I had strokes. And I definitely could have waited years before becoming handicapped. But if I was going to have strokes, I’m glad that I got to have some of the experiences I did FIRST.” [...]