trying to get my eyes fixed

I went to the ophthalmologist’s office expecting to get Botex injections around my eye to combat muscle spasms.

That’s not so much what happened.

Instead of a quick stab with a needle I got a full eye exam with a bunch of words I didn’t understand.

After all the testing and checking and making of “ooohs” and “mmmhhhhmmmm” noises, I finally got the verdict.

I WAS ACTUALLY LUCKY TO NOT BE BLIND YET.

I had to schedule a surgery, on the spot.

I had to schedule THREE.

They are all outpatient, on the same day and fairly easy for recovery.

But they’re still surgery.

I’m having:

• a surgery on my left eye to deal with the eyelashes that were sticking to my eyeball
  • another surgery on my left eye to help fix the double vision issues
  • then the doctor figured that the majority of the vision shaking wasn’t from eyelid-muscle spasms, but actual spasms of both eyeball-muscles…surgery #3 will be to try to find the point where the eyeballs jerk the least

Yes, I’m having usury to keep my balls from jerking.

Sweet.

In a way, I’m really thrilled that I might be able to get problems fixed.  Problems that I’d assumed were just a part of my life. (Granted, I’m a little irked that no one had suggested these problem solving surgeries before)

In another way, I feel scared that I’m having surgery on my eyes.  MY EYES. If surgery goes wrong, I’ll be blind for life.

If I opt not to have the surgeries I definitely WILL go blind.

I’m not ready to be blind.

On top of everything else, I’m just not!

**********************************

I wrote about being thankful over at Nicole’s site

By Word of Mouth Blogging

, , , , ,

10 Responses to trying to get my eyes fixed

1. ben April 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM #

always go to the city magazine top doctors

2. Hugh November 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM #

Hi Anissa

My wife Ruth has a similar issue with eye muscle control (the technical term was nystagmus.) If this doesn’t match your diagnosis, please ignore the rest of this.

She was eventually referred to the premier British neuro hospital for a consult. The Dr there advised a twice daily low level dosage of Klonopin, which helped considerably. Send me a message on FB if you would like to know more

Best wishes

3. Georzetta November 13, 2011 at 5:29 PM #

That does suck. Good luck. Heal well.

4. Chloe November 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM #

Wow. I read about your Botox and then find out this. Surgery on your eyes is serious business even if it is “just outpatient”.

But I’m hopeful they will be able to fix your eye and save your sight. I’m glad you found a doctor who cared enough to look further into the matter and offer up some real longterm solutions. A good doctor is a rare find.

Chloe´s last post…What Do You Hate to Shop For?

5. cmkerwin November 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM #

I had eye surgery in my early forties for cataracts on both eyes. Before the surgery, during pre-op testing, they found that the original surgery and lens replacement wouldn’t work. I had to go back to the drawing board and research all my options. I too was terrified of anyone working on my eyes. I can also tell you that it wasn’t at all as bad as I imagined. The surgery was painless, quick, and professional. These guys know their stuff! Just thought hearing that might help, despite our differences in procedures.

Good Luck on your surgery.

6. Susie November 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM #

Oh, Anissa, I can honestly say your post was very difficult for me to read. At first, I thought it would be your recap of a funny adventure with botox, but then it turned serious (and with very good reason).

Can I say I know how you feel? Well, no, but I was very premature (2 1/2 months) and about that time, there was a link between too much oxygen in incubators and blindness in preemies. So the doctors told my parents that they could decrease the oxygen but that I may not make it. (I was only given a 10% chance to live.) My parents made the extremely difficult decision for the oxygen to be decreased.

So for some reason blindness has always been a near paralyzing fear of mine for my entire life (I’m older than you). A few years ago, I had an initial exam for lasik surgery but never went through with it because of the rare risk of blindness. (I read the entire pamphlet of small print).

Before you think that this post is all about me, I just want you to know that I can understand a lot of what your going through with this. I sincerely hope the surgeries correct your “jerky balls” (only you would phrase it like that!) perfectly, and you have an uneventful and speedy recovery.

You are one of the bravest people I know, Anissa. You have an amazing depth of courage within you that you have shown over and over again countless times. I wish this wasn’t a life moment for you to once again show how incredibly brave you are, but alas, it is. Now go get tomorrow, like you always do…

7. Susan in the Boonies November 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM #

Oh, my gosh, Anissa! I just prayed for you, and for all 3 of your surgeries, that you would have good outcomes on each, and peace, in the meantime!

Hugs!

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Hey, Y’all, I Got Nominated, Again

8. Kristin November 10, 2011 at 11:24 AM #

I’m hoping and praying these surgeries go your way and your vision issues get resolved. Like Schmutzie says “No more jerky balls.”

Kristin´s last post…What The Fuck Wednesday: The Waffle House Index

9. schmutzie November 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM #

I’m sacrificing chickens in your honour. You’ll pull through! And with less jerky balls!

schmutzie´s last post…Me at Aiming Low: How To Make Lemony Garlic Mockamole

10. Chunky Mama November 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM #

Well, the possibility of correcting some of the sight issues is REALLY exciting!
    Will be thinking of you and wishing you easy (and completely flawless) surgeries & a quick recovery!