years we weren’t sure we’d have

Today, Peyton turns 8yo.

It’s hard for me to not feel this birthday a little more than the other kids’.

Not because I’m not madly in love with them.

Because THEIR birthdays don’t come with the lasting relief that hers does.

When I celebrate the day of their birth, I’m not reminded of how fragile their hold on life was.

Each birthday COULD have been her last.

But it wasn’t!!

When I watched her eyes light up at getting hair dye to put temporary blue streaks in her hair, I’m reminded.

When she tells me with her sassy attitude that this is the birthday that means she doesn’t have to be in a booster seat anymore, I’m reminded.

The candle that burns strong and bright to represent her birth reminds me.

Each birthday is precious.

Each day a gift.

******************************

At Babble I asked how to cope with the passing of a family pet?

10 Responses to years we weren’t sure we’d have

1. Tracy Solomon December 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM #

She looks awesome!!!! Happy belated birthday, Peyton!! Love, Katia and Tracy:)

Tracy Solomon´s last post…Terror in America’s schools and at home

2. JW Moxie December 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM #

Happy (belated) birthday to Peyton. Her smile shows the joy that’s in your heart.

JW Moxie´s last post…Confessions of an English Major

3. Barbi Emel December 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM #

She’s beautiful. Happy birthday Peyton!

4. Susie December 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM #

Happy Birthday, Peyton! How sweet you look! Now that your birthday is over (since you’re on the East Coast) and I’m not, what was your most favorite moment of your most special day? And ask your mom what her favorite moment was too. Then have your mom come back to her blog and let me know! (I’m so curious).

(I hope you smiled and giggled so much today, that your cheeks hurt!)

PS Now go get tomorrow, Anissa (like you always do)…

5. Connie Dossin December 5, 2011 at 10:36 PM #

Happy Birthday Peyton! Looking so beautiful!

6. jaelithe December 5, 2011 at 1:13 PM #

And many more. Many, many, many more.

jaelithe´s last post…This Is Just to Say

7. Blondefabulous December 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM #

Happiest of happy birthdays to you both. Make each day EPIC!!

Blondefabulous´s last post…You Know It’s Monday When….

8. Dawn Tucker December 5, 2011 at 9:35 AM #

Oh, Happy Birthday Peyton – I hope you have a wonderful day with lots of smiles.
    I can’t believe I must have been following your Mums blog for nearly 5 years now.
    And you’re both very precious people!

• Anissa Mayhew December 5, 2011 at 11:53 AM #

Good lord, Dawn! It has been a long time, but I have always known you’re there. xoxoxox

9. Pam @writewrds December 5, 2011 at 9:06 AM #

Thanks for sharing. And Happy Birthday Peyton.