not MY daughters

Brushing your teeth should come with no bigger shock than a weird piece of roast beef stuck between your molars.

When you haven’t HAD roast beef.

????

Anywaaaay.

I got a bigger shock when my 8yo came to me and told me about a neighborhood boy who had pulled down his pants on the trampoline and exposed himself to her and her sister.

Full frontal nudity.

I still have this ball of sickness from the thought that my girls have that part of their innocence taken away.

I talked to his father and I made sure they knew he was no longer welcome at our house.

I talked to the girls about the fact that it wasn’t their fault.

They did the right thing by telling me.

They have to see him every day on the bus, but know not to talk to him.

You can’t just apologize this kind of behavior away.

, , ,

11 Responses to not MY daughters

1. Mel May 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM #

Your girls are so very, very brave. What a great mom you are!
    Another book for the shelf, “I Said No.”
    Blessings to you!!

2. BalancingMama (Julie) February 9, 2012 at 3:04 PM #

At first I was thinking, “oh, he’s just a kid…”
    But he is 11? And they are several years younger?
    Yeah, that crosses the line into freaky, I would think.
    Glad they told you and you could handle it.
    I hope his parents speak with him and he doesn’t do it again to anyone.

3. Jessy Taylor February 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM #

You are a great mother. You handled the situation very wisely. I totally agree with you on- “Nobody, even if they call themselves your “friend”, has the right to make you feel uncomfortable.”

I’m sure you will continue being a great mom.

Best wishes.

-Jessy

Jessy Taylor´s last post…how to pick up girls

4. Lori V. February 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM #

My child was also there on the trampoline at the time, and I am relieved that you brought this to my attention. I am blessed to have you as a friend, and blessed that K has great friends like your girls. I hope this serves as a lesson for K too that she can come to you Or me with any problems, or any adult near her if a situation like this ever occurs again. Love you my sweet Niss!

Lori V.´s last post…Wordless Wednesday – College Days..

• Peter Mayhew February 8, 2012 at 5:00 PM #

By the way, we talked to the other boy’s dad today. Very similar response, very apologetic and agreed to deal with it.

5. Jana A (@jana0926) February 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM #

OH my gosh, Anissa! You did a great job handling it. I’m going to introduce you to Fredthefox.com. A girl I know here in Dunwoody wrote the book. It’s a great way to talk to kiddos about this type of thing and how to say NO!

Jana A (@jana0926)´s last post…#FineChinaFriday

6. Cheryl February 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM #

Girls were definitely right to have told you.
    I’m curious about the boy’s age, though. Was he also eight? I have a seven-year old son – they’re pretty innocent themselves, and also trying to figure out their place in the world (a process that can involve pushing boundaries). To label a young child as forever unforgivable can’t lead to anything good for that child.

• Anissa Mayhew February 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM #

You’re def right!! I don’t want to make judgement about anyone’s child, just the effect his behavior had on my girls.

He just turned 11.

Old enough to know that was inappropriate.

7. Domestic Extraordinaire February 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM #

oh honey, I am so sorry that this happened to your girls. I am so happy that they felt comfortable enough to tell you about the incident, but sad that it happened nonetheless.

xo

Domestic Extraordinaire´s last post…I am pretty sure that I am allergic to putting away Christmas

8. Tracie February 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM #

“You can’t apologize this kind of behavior away,” is SO right!

You did the right thing.

Tracie´s last post…Princesses and Love Letters

9. Jo February 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM #

Oh Anissa…

*sigh* I’m so glad that your girls told you. SO glad. They will be strong and confident because of YOU.

Hoping that something isn’t going on with the boy to make him act out that way. As an abuse survivor, it’s often the first thing that comes to my mind.