on my own

I went to Blissdom.

I was with Jackie (my helper) and Julia (my friend with the best curly hair) and my new wheelchair Bertha.

My regular wheelchair is a manual chair.

Bertha is a powerchair.

It was my first conference with Bertha. No idea, but the stirrings of the independence she gives me.

We hit Nashville.

A UTI hit Jackie.

Julia had plans that I WOULDN’T encroach on. Like dinner. And sessions. And passing kidney stones on the last night.

I decided to do this conference on my own.

I could do this.

I DID do this.

It was the first time I confidently maneuvered the labyrinth that is the Gaylord Opryland by myself.

It was the first time since my strokes I arrived at at party when *I* wanted and left when *I* wanted.

It was the first time since my strokes I had a conversation in the hallway just because the person found ME interesting.

It was the first time since my strokes I truly went out on my own.

Yes, I got lost. But just once.

I was willing to ask for help when I needed it. I wasn’t embarrassed.

It was four years since I was attending Blissdom as a newbie.

But I definitely experienced a lot of things as a special brand of newbie.

, , ,

17 Responses to on my own

1. alli slankepille køb online May 14, 2013 at 1:40 AM #

Helpful info. Lucky my family I ran across your blog by accident, with this particular dismayed why this kind of crash would not taken place beforehand! I bookmarked it.

2. Susan in the Boonies March 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM #

It was such a pleasure getting to meet up with you again, dear Anissa. I can only hope we’ll do more of the same, soon.

And where is that picture I took of you and Alli???

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Blowout in the Boonies:

3. Kristin March 1, 2012 at 9:30 PM #

Please, please tell me Bertha is coming to BlogHer.

Kristin´s last post…Win a signed copy of The Story of Beautiful Girl

4. Brigid February 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM #

The only thing better than seeing you motor around in Bertha, was plopping down in your lap. Great to visit again. Keep the China safe.

5. Emily Sandford (@skinnyemmie) February 29, 2012 at 9:38 AM #

I was so glad I got to meet you, and that I told you how much I love your blogs. You and Bertha OWNED Blissdom. Rock on.

Emily Sandford (@skinnyemmie)´s last post…Blissdom Recap: Making Progress

6. Robyn of Coffee and Cotton February 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM #

I had the joy of meeting you. I would have loved to have sat and talked over a glass…hell a whole bottle of wine…to have gotten to know you a bit better. You and Bertha rocked it. Me? I got lost a lot with Maddie

7. Darren Stuart Defoe February 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM #

This is such a great post. You are such an inspiration. You give us the courage of being independent.
    I like your Bertha. How are you feeling using it?

Thanks.

-Darren

Darren Stuart Defoe´s last post…how to seduce a woman

8. Jane February 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM #

Anissa- wish I had known you were nervous too. I really struggled getting around with my bent chair (a new power assist is in the works), quiet voice (thanks to the trache) and in person shyness. It looked like you had a wonderful time. Since the loud rooms made it tough for me to talk and get to know you, I look forward to meeting you online and again at Blissdom13.

Be well

9. Stacie @ The Divine Miss Mommy February 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM #

As always, I love seeing you. You are stronger and can do more than pretty much anyone I know! <3

10. Meghan @JaMonkey February 28, 2012 at 8:46 AM #

It was great seeing you, you looked lively! I think you need a mexican horn on it though to announce to people to move though. It’s totally you.

Meghan @JaMonkey´s last post…30 Week Baby Bump

11. Schmutzie February 28, 2012 at 4:38 AM #

That’s so fantastic!

Schmutzie´s last post…The Palinode Rocks a Flowered Pashmina and Saves Kittens

12. Susie February 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM #

You just “owned” the following quote, Anissa: “Face the fear and do it anyway.” It must have been amazing to feel so independent. I loved your line: It was the first time since my strokes I arrived at at party when *I* wanted and left when *I* wanted”.

You simply rock! So happy you had an awesome time @ Blissdom. Now go get tomorrow, like you always do…

13. Julie @DutchBeingMe February 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM #

It was awesome seeing you this weekend… and if you only got lost once, you beat me by a few times. That damn Delta area.

Ps… if I reach 500 pounds by BlogHer, I’m blaming it on the new fascination with Thin Mints. ;)

Love, your lying whore.

Julie @DutchBeingMe´s last post…#PinterestChallenge: Week 26…

14. Mary@Everyday Baby Steps February 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM #

That is awesome, Anissa! I’m so impressed. Crap, I got lost about a million times in that hotel when I went. It must have felt great to be out on your own. Glad you had fun. Don’t forget this experience. Use it as motivation for the next thing that comes up you want to tackle on your own.

Mary@Everyday Baby Steps´s last post…My Family and the Listerine Oral Care Challenge

15. Adventures In Babywearing February 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM #

Girl, I got lost at LEAST twice a day. (Always in front of the Mac Tools people.) And I wasn’t drinking! (well just that one night.)

It was so wonderful seeing you, honestly I forgot you were riding Bertha. I just see you- you and all that is inside you are bigger than so much, and your independence SHOWED. Love you.

Steph

Adventures In Babywearing´s last post…While I’m away

16. Ann at Mundane Magic February 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM #

Best (and saddest) line of the whole post:

“FYI, when the stroke victim in the wheelchair is the healthiest person in the room, you got issues.”

Glad you had a good time, but geez your roommates were sick! Last year was my first year and I plan on being there next year. One of the most thoughtful conferences around.

Ann at Mundane Magic´s last post…Bertolli Meal Soups #BertolliMealSoup

17. Danielle February 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM #

Sounds like you had an awesome time! I wish I could have made it to Blissdom… I certainly hope you are coming to BlogHer this year!
    I am completely inspired by you and would love to meet!

Danielle´s last post…Fight the Funk! 10 Top Cloth Diaper Bloggers Share Their Favorite Detergents!