inspire someone

When Peyton was diagnosed with cancer the doctor gave a very important bit of advice. It wasn’t about her diet or meds, it wasn’t what we could do to make chemotherapy go smoother for a child.

It was that when the treatment was all complete and we moved on with life - and to have faith that we WOULD finish and be able to move on – that we would have to live with the person we created during treatment. Treat her normal and the same as we would any of our other kids.

We took that to heart.

We watched untold families show relentless favoritism and saw sibling that were ignored and forgotten.

I’d love to say that our kids never suffered at all for Peyton being sick.  They did.

I’d be proud to say I never caved and gave in to Peyton’s every little whim. I’d be a big liar-liar-pants-on-fire though.

I AM happy to say that years after the treatment is over, these are little people you can actually enjoy being around. ALL of  them.

We did what that that doctor said. We completed treatment. We left treatment behind us. We kept our kids the same kids they always were.

There was a time in the hospital when I couldn’t do for myself. Others did for me.

Then came the time the time when they started to teach me that *I* could still do things for myself.

Since that time, everything has been a lesson in strength, endurance or independence.

People could have done things for me and made my life easier but it didn’t make things better.

I chose to do things the hard way. Do things for myself. Come up with my own solutions. Ask for help when I need it and be thankful when I got it.

There’s no shame in the word INSPIRATIONAL.

There, I said it. I didn’t choke.

There are people around me who inspire me with their candor, bravery, wit, wisdom, creativity, humor, genius and capacity for MORE.

Don’t ever think I’m inspirational because I didn’t die.

That sort of makes me Harry Potter. Not Hermione, the smartest girl and hardest worker. Not Ron, the friend with the most loyal heart and action in the face of fear. I’m Harry, the one that didn’t die.

Every day you open your eyes and you are as good as Harry Potter. You have not died.

YAY YOU.

You have the rest of your day to inspire someone.

, , , ,

10 Responses to inspire someone

1. Josh Spencer May 3, 2012 at 3:05 AM #

Inspiration is what gets us going in our daily lives, and your story Annisa is just very touching. Your endurance and courage is just so amazing. You have really inspired many people and I agree with you that there is no shame in the word INSPIRATIONAL.

Josh Spencer´s last post…Reviews for Max Workouts

2. Michele Kidd May 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM #

While you might be Harry now, you definitely have had your Hermione and Ron moments over the years.

Michele Kidd´s last post…In which I wish I knew if I would be feeling better forever

3. Susan in the Boonies May 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM #

Yes, by your definition: you inspire me, and that’s just a fact. For your strength, endurance, and the hard work that has given you the level of independence that you have regained, you inspire me.

And you make me laugh.

So I keep coming around. :-)

Hope you don’t mind.

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…My Scarlet Letter of Fourth Grade Shame

4. Beta Dad May 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM #

I got a little teary when I read this, Anissa, and all I could think to say was, “You’re welcome.”

5. Vikki April 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM #

I truly believe that in telling our stories and truth – whatever they may be – we can be inspirational. You never know who might be reading or listening and something you say might be the one thing they needed to hear.

That said, bring me a donut! Or soft serve. Whatever.

Vikki´s last post…Hello How Are You

6. Leila (Don't Speak Whinese) April 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM #

Una just made me want some freaking soft serve.

I echo everything that has already been said… sometimes doing what we must do each day is inspirational…. as well as finding and bringing joy. But ultimately, you are a rockstar.

Leila (Don’t Speak Whinese)´s last post…And Then Jenny the Bloggess Signed My Tongue

7. Una April 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM #

Inspiration, for me, is the purest state of joy. To inspire others is to bring them joy, like J.K. Rowling, Mr. Softee, and YOU. There, I said it. You’re right up there with soft-serve.

8. The Domestic Goddess April 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM #

I do have a really, really tough time when folks think I’m “inspirational” or “amazing” just for doing what I have to do every single day. But it’s nice to hear sometimes, especially on shitty days.

BTW, You rock, woman.

The Domestic Goddess´s last post…So This is What IT Feels Like!

• Julia Roberts April 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM #

What she said!

And what you say Anissa, everyday that you get up and go at it again. I’ve had the pleasure of watching you be inspirational FIRST HAND!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks