when you find out your friends are douches

I went to the reading of my friend Jenny’s book “Let’s Pretend This Never Happened”.

I’ve gone out of my way to hatch a plan for her anxiety disorder and she comes to Georgia is a total douche.

Before you kick me in the esophagus on her behalf, give me a chance to explain.

Writing a story is hard.

Whether it’s Lifetime-movie-of-the-week dramatic of spleen-splitting humor, it’s difficult to tell a tale that stands out from the millions of others on shelves.

Then Jenny comes along.

She’s able to take topics that are serious at their core. Then wrap them in her hilarious presentation. They become universal and identifiable. Touchable. Real.

People realize that if this funny, loveable person can be full of her brand of crazy, it’s ok to admit that we all are.

And she’s an excellent writer.

It makes it very hard to be faced with the task of trying to write a tragic topic and infuse your humor in it. Why even bother?

DOUCHE-CABOOSE!

If you haven’t read her book, you are a fool and we’re all mocking you behind your back. DO IT.

If you’re never been to her site, I’ll assume you’ve been in a coma and say SO HAVE I THAT IS NO EXCUSE!!

, , , ,

8 Responses to when you find out your friends are douches

1. Patrick Nelson May 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM #

I share your sentiments Anissa, I may not have the same experience but I’ve had friends who are douches, sadly they still are today and more sadly, they’re still my friends.

Patrick Nelson´s last post…Best Private Student Loans

2. Tiffany May 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM #

I wanted to tell you that on my way to the Atlanta signing I wondered if you were going to make an appearance, and you literally went right by me at the door. I really wish now that I’d been less shy and introduced myself, but get blindsided with panic when surrounded by so many people who want to do the same. I wanted to thank you for being such a strong blogging “presence.” my family and I have been following your journey nationwide for a few years now. It was good to see you AND Jenny, even though I couldn’t get up the nerve to introduce myself properly.

• Anissa Mayhew May 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM #

I remember you! Were you standing with a man by the doors?

I’m just never sure when people have something to say or are staring at the wheelchair. I tend to just not look because *I* feel awkward.

I wish you’d said hello. Maybe we’ll have another chance.

And many thanks to your family!

3. Sili May 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM #

I love it. On my reading list. Stupid schoolwork. I signed up for this MBA in social media thinking I’d be assigned these types of books. What was I thinking? ;-)

oxoxox

Sili´s last post…Wearing the Big Girl Panties

• Anissa Mayhew May 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM #

I’ll tell on you!!!

4. Jana A (@jana0926) May 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM #

Whew. Thought for a minute you were calling ME a douche. Which I am not. I don’t think. It was fun to hang with you the other night. Though I really should’ve acted like I was with you so I could’ve been FIRST in line instead of leaving there 2.5 hours later. What was I thinking?

Jana A (@jana0926)´s last post…New Colored Pencils

• Anissa Mayhew May 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM #

I would never call you you a douche.

That’s a lie.

I might, But not on my blog.

xoxoxo

• Shoua June 7, 2012 at 4:46 AM #

Funny how I just stumbled acorss WMB one day (one of my facebook contacts posted an interesting article) and I was hooked! After reading it daily for a little while I really got to see the similar challenges that we, as mothers are faced with every day, no matter where we are from. I also love how we are able to showcase our cultural differences and share our thoughts and concerns with each other and the world. The fact that Jen is thoughtfully guiding us to the next step of our journey by including social good is truly inspiring. Thank you Jen for allowing me to be part of it!