come-to-jesus talks

I had what I like to call a come-to-Jesus talk with Nathaniel.

14 is such a rough age.

Hormones pulling you in one direction. Family pulling you in another. Friends pulling you in so many ways you feel a little dizzy.

It’s so easy to let him slide when I see him making jackass choices.

Because 1) he doesn’t do it often 2) he really is a gem compared to what most 14yo boys are 3) after all he’s been through, we’re pretty lucky he isn’t holding up liquor stores.

I try to remember what has made him the gem he IS the fact there’s no sliding.

Especially as he get older and the chance to be an influence in his life gets smaller and smaller.

I want the moments we laugh to last longer but I want the lessons I try to teach him to last forever.

, , , ,

6 Responses to come-to-jesus talks

1. Super Earthling June 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM #

I just have a daughter, who’s now an adult, but I can sympathize. I remember those teen years. She was a good kid who never got into trouble. I was probably overprotective, and afraid she’d somehow get turned to the darkside if I didn’t do everything just right. LOL Sometimes it’s not easy to be a good parent–to know instinctively how to handle a given situation.

It seems to me, Anissa, that you’ve done a wonderful job, especially given all that you’ve been through, health-wise. I sincerely doubt your influence will lessen in your son’s life as he gets older. I’m betting that aside from loving his mom, he’s got great respect for her too. :)

–Susan

Super Earthling´s last post…How Baklava Transformed Miss Gertie Jane Krumpenschlump

2. Kris June 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM #

As the mom of 4 boys – cheers. I am also a little jealous he waited till 14. Seriously, your kids sound pretty amazing!

3. Grace Becker June 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM #

It might be so hard trying to understand if a 14yo is heeding the advice about life you give them, but trust me they might make it hard for you to understand but somehow what they are told sticks. So it is better to tell them what needs to be told anyways.

Grace Becker´s last post…Get Support from Car Insurance Quote

4. The Animated Woman June 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM #

The things we tell our children are all rattling around in there somewhere. Sometimes it seems they don’t hear it, but they do. It’s important to maintain that no-slide influence – although it’s not easy – you’re doing a splendid job.

The Animated Woman´s last post…FaceBook WTF.

5. Maddie Kertay June 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM #

I was going to say a whole bunch of encouraging shit.. but as someone who has lived through two teens and currently has 2 teens ( one also being 14) and 1 pre teen.. I offer you a hug. Past that I will buy you a drink. You are doing great… see there I go being encouraging.. geesh.

maddie

6. Susan in the Boonies June 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM #

I think one of the hardest things for a parent of a child who has gone through an emotional upheaval is to decide when and where to give grace, and when and where to draw the line.

Kudos to you for realizing that he still needs, and wants, boundaries (whether he realizes he wants them or not: he does.).

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…My Big Night(s) Out at Mangia Nashville