ok, fine! it was @VidaCantina and they have….

I always want to make sure that everything I say/write is correct.

The potted plant I mentioned belongs to the Epicenter (the building rental) and not the Vida Cantina itself. When they heard of my problem and was made aware of the issue it was removed. While I am thrilled that the one very small issue was resolved, I wonder how many wheelchair-bound, stroller-pushing, walker-dependent patrons had to make their way past that plant without saying anything.

Mike was kind and insisted on treating my family to dinner.

I don’t know the ADA laws well enough to say if laws were broken of if a place is compliant.

The Vida Cantina says it’s compliant and I believe them.

All I can say for sure is whether or not something worked for me. As I was struck by handbags and purchases and banged into bodies and chars, I didn’t feel terribly complied with.

As with any PLACE. ADA compliance means you did the minimum required. You did what you HAD to do to fulfill that law. I’m supposed to be satisfied.

If the food was served lukewarm and the silverware was dirty, the staff would hear about it. The customer deserved better than that. They don’t get minimum.

What if your ob/gyn gave you minimum care?

What if a mechanic gives you the bare minimum?

What if a loved one were dying and the ambulance driver gave you just enough speed to meet the law.

Now, those are extreme examples.

BUT SOMETIMES. the minimum just isn’t enough.

Thank you to the Vida Catina for dong what they HAD to. But here’s hoping they choose to do what they CAN do.

, , , ,

6 Responses to ok, fine! it was @VidaCantina and they have….

1. Kristin July 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM #

I’m glad something was done but hope there is more follow through. I am still stunned and infuriated you had to go through this.

Kristin´s last post…Chocolate’s a vegetable, isn’t it?

2. Karen July 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM #

I was not aware of the obstacles faced by non-ambulatory folk until I worked with special needs kids and adults in ME (a rather progressive state, in truth). Our group home clients were out and about in the community almost every single day from work related errands to life skills to appointments, to social gatherings, community involvement days, and general recreation. Our clients were given front row seats and had paths cleared for them. Now I don’t think (Anissa) wants her tushie kissed (although who couldn’t use a little of that now and then!) a bit of general human respect, decency, and simple politeness would have been nice! What kind of schmuck pot a-hole does not help out, let alone a whole room full of dickwads, when a fellow human being is having difficulty mobilizing to a destination? Shame on everyone who either refused to move, or refused to make a stand to get someone to move.
    I am sure that some of the crowd present were guilty more by association because god knows I have my days where i can’t get my head out of my own behind… but to those who were blatantly rude- shame on you!
    As for establishments, well I wish we could all be made to live a day in the shoes of those whom we serve. (yes, me included!)
    (and I do welcome legitimate feedback if I am misspoken as I expect it will be educational.)

3. Liz @ The Six Year Itch June 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM #

I ate at the same place except with a different group. I do have to say that person who sat us was a huge pain in the ass and told us that we had to move from one table by 7 pm. She repeated herself at least 10 times in about seconds — emphasizing our group was a problem for her. Then, when 7 rolled around, no one made us move. It was, initially, a very un-welcoming experience and clearly pales in comparison to what you faced. Our waitresses were very friendly and accommodating, but the welcome left a lot to be desired.

You are right: the minimum is not enough. The past can’t be made right, but the future can be made better. I hope this happens.

Liz @ The Six Year Itch´s last post…One American, One Mother, One Miscarriage that Almost Killed Me Because I Didn’t Have Insurance

4. Erika June 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM #

I love how you are fair to what they did do, but expose all they didn’t do with a challenge to do better. Classy. Also, glad to have found your blog. Don’t know why it took me so damn long.

Erika´s last post…Seen.

5. Hugh June 29, 2012 at 7:37 PM #

I’m glad to see elsewhere that the restaurant owner has apologised and is dealing with this positively – similar to our own experience earlier this week at a top 5*+ London UK hotel when we were told that our usual (disability-facilitated) room was not available, but the alternative was laid out exactly the same. When we got there, it wasn’t, and so badly was it not that we had to return home, bit of a downer when we had been expecting to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary there. As you can imagine, emotional states ran high … I do not mention the hotel since they have been in contact and have offered us a replacement stay fully on them and have asked us to join their advisory panel.

One thing that restaurant owners – and others – could usefully do with training days is to hire a wheelchair & pusher and for the owner (and subsequently staff) to spend a normal trading day in the wheelchair. It’s a powerful teacher.

6. Redneck Mommy June 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM #

Accessibility is a HUGE issue to me. More often than not, the minimum requirements are not enough.

I’m glad the manager of Vida is receptive and willing to open a dialogue on improving conditions for accessibility. That really is a huge part of the battle.

However, as one of the people who had to listen to that dippy server telling us she couldn’t ask people to politely move and that she’d need to get the manager I’m still enraged. And I’m still annoyed for every bag that bumped you in the face, every chair that was in your way and every dirty look everyone of those customers shot us because we had the audacity to ask them to move two inches out of the way. And that’s just the beginning.

This shouldn’t still be happening. This ignorance should no longer exist towards people with disabilities. I’m so very sorry you had to endure it. But I’m very grateful that you are willing to use your voice to make the world a better place not only for yourself but for my family, and every family out there affected with these problems.

Redneck Mommy´s last post…Why I Still Blog