saying “i’m sorry”

Two little words that come with a world of meaning.

1. “I’m sorry” -> Something people say when they genuinely feel remorse for causing a physical, mental or emotional harm to another. It may be accompanied by clothes made of camel hair and rubbing ash on ones self, but that is optional.  (Clothes made of polyester DOES NOT COUNT)

2. “I’m sorry” -> This is said when the person is clearly not a fault. They are not apologizing for blame but letting you know they think your involvement in whatever situation in full of the suck.

3. “I’m sorry” -> This is said as a form of “excuse me”.  I’ve noticed that people tend to use this version when there’s physical contact.

4. “I’m sorry” -> This is said an warning. The person hasn’t actually done anything yet, but plans to offend the ever-living snot out of you.

5. “I’m sorry?” -> The phrase can be used as a question, meaning “I didn’t catch that”

6. “I’m sorry?” -> This form of the question is used by snobs who are too well bred to actually say “I will fill your vagina with gasoline and use your fake fingernails as sparklers!”

7. “I’m sorry” -> This is truly the worst abuse of the words. This is when they are uttered with no actual meaning pertaining to the words. The user says them because they are expected, but there isno remorse or intent to change the situation.

Any versions you can share with me?

, , ,

7 Responses to saying “i’m sorry”

1. defendUSA July 6, 2012 at 6:54 AM #

What I despise about “I’m sorry” and it’s uses…If someone tells you “you never apologize” but you have, and it’s not what the “wronged” individual thinks they want, you get skewered either way. For example, I carry a clothes basket and I am short. I accidentally get too close and step on the cat. I say, “oops, I didn’t see you with this basket in my hands.” That is a form of sorry…but to some people if you don’t say the words, “i’m sorry” they will tell you it was not an apology, but an excuse!!
    Or how about when people fight about an issue–sometimes both people think they’re right but, one will demand an on the spot apology in the heat of anger. The sorry is said, and the receiver says, “You didn’t mean it” I absolutely despise sorry and it’s bullshit. Sorry is overrated!

2. kyooty/Mary June 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM #

I”m sorry (but…) unspoken as a conditional offering.

3. TechyDad June 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM #

When my kids say they’re sorry, they genuinely are. It’s just that they leave off the rest of the sentence: “that we got caught.”

TechyDad´s last post…Aloha Friday: Time To Post

4. wendi June 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM #

what about the one that slips out when my kids are complaining and I forget not to be a snarky parent: “oh! I’m sorry- I forgot the world was revolving around you today!” oops. not nice. okay but seriously- whoever gave you a sucky apology- I’m happy to kick their ass.

5. Christy June 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM #

I’ve used I’m sorry as in I’m a sorry human being. I’ve only used it once or twice in my darkest, saddest moments after I’ve looked around at everything that had collapsed around me and felt utterly hopeless. Not good for the spirit but, there it is.

6. Susan in the Boonies June 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM #

Oh, dear.

So…I’m guessing something other than the first was offered?

I’m one of those people who totally believe that an “I’m sorry” should only be offered in sincerity.

If it’s offered with a “that you”…as in…”I’m sorry that YOU got upset”, that’s not really an apology.

That’s shooting blame back at you.

“I’m sorry that I” or “I’m sorry that we” is usually a true admission of personal responsibility, and that, of course, is where reconciliation starts,

Wishing you true reconciliation with the offending party.

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Aztec Salad: Repentance Never Tasted So Good

7. Kymberli aka JW Moxie June 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM #

Another version of “I’m sorry” is apparently the one that the dickhead at the restaurant needs to use. As in, “I’m a sorry piece of crap, waste of space and good air excuse of a human being.”

Kymberli aka JW Moxie´s last post…A Series on Self-Doubt: In Which I Make a Confession with a Capital D