when people make me feel crappy

I was on on the screen in Times Square and my top fell off!

Not really, but I probably would’ve have been able to deal with that better than what actually happened.

In North Carolina at TypeAParent Conference (that I’ll write about later with all the good and wonderful that happened)and I went out to dinner with a group of friends.

Friends that accommodated the need of my wheelchair-bound body because one has dealt with two kids with extreme special needs, one has a child in a wheelchair, one has experienced being my pusher and the others have love beyond compare.

The evening started by getting to restaurant. And finding it was upstairs.

Some of our group went up the stairs to get a table, while some went with me in search of an elevator.

It was down a long walk away at the far end of the parking garage. Dark and smelly. Very Deep Throat.

We make it to the second floor to a narrow walkway to the restaurant entrance. Where someone has decorated the only way in this place with a five-foot flower pot. NO SHIT.

We manage to squeak by the flower pot.

Then we barely get through the bar tables, with chair taller than I am in my wheelchair.

We finally find our group.

We drink. Eat. Make very merry.

Then we have to leave.

During the time we were eating and merry-making the restaurant had filled.

When faced with the human obstacle course that the bar area had become, we turned to the hostesses for aid in navigating to the door.

“I’m sorry, we’d have to ask a manager to ask anyone to move.”

First, we weren’t asking them to MOVE, we were asking them to shift so I could make my way to exit. Second, “sorry” must not mean the same thing on her home planet.

My friends decided the wait for a manager was too much.

The looks of disdain, rolled eyes and annoyance at being disturbed along with the people who flat-out looked and chose to ignore our “excuse us” request was too much.

I made it out the door.

TICK.

I made it past the flower pot.

TICK.

I shed a few tears but held in.

TICK.

Then one of my friends did something pretty innocent.

KABOOOOM

I exploded on her.

She who didn’t deserve it and knew I didn’t mean it.

I popped.

I popped hard.

It’s over now.

There’s nothing I can do about it or expect.

The embarrassment I felt was bigger than anything than I had ever felt before. I’m used to being looked at, watched, observed and it generally doesn’t bother me.

But I felt a burning shame. Like I had done something wrong by daring to try to be normal and do something an average person does.

Their eyes cut me.

The moment is over.

The cuts left a scar.

JUST ADDED

On June 28th Mike from the Vida Catina called about the incident. We talked about the FAIL of his employee, the inaccessibility of his restaurant , the multitude of ways that little things could improved to  improve a handicapped patron’s experience.

This is where you, my Charlotte friends, come in.

I live in Atlanta and can’t confirm that the changes have actually been made (the potted plant removed, the bar area made wider) so I have been invited to invite some friends to go in and have drinks/apps complimentary and let me know.

I’ll call it the #AccessMeetup!

I’ll make it July 7th, 6pm. Email me at Anissa.Mayhew @ gmail if you can go and I will give Mike a headcount. Truly, this WOULD help me!

, , , , ,

58 Responses to when people make me feel crappy

1. Raul Colon July 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM #

Glad that the restauran reached out to you! I hope they did fix all those issues. Having a cousin who has dealt all his life with muscular dystrophy we have a few stories to tell. I have a friend who was with me in the military and he got hurt in battle and now runs into all those issues.

I am so proud of you for speaking up! You are making a difference for those that come behind you!

2. denise June 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM #

I am just so appalled by all the people involved. I CANNOT fathom the world we are living in where people would treat you that way as you try to get through. How horrible. And the hostess- unbelievable. I’m sort of ashamed to live in NC right now. You certainly didn’t find any southern hospitality while there. I’m so sorry.

3. Fadra June 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM #

Please invite me to dinner next time. Because when I feel fierce, I do not know my own size or limitations. I feel quite certain I could have physically moved and/or restrained anyone that didn’t understand the words Excuse Me followed by GTF out of the way please.

And seriously, I will sing Disney for you anytime. This is the song I was using to cheer you up. It should become your mantra.

Fadra´s last post…The Smile That Won My Heart

4. The Animated Woman June 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM #

What. You’d think people would be fine with making way, that they’d be eager to accommodate and show kindness. Mother with a baby stroller, elderly person with a walker, handicapped with a wheelchair, you make way, you hold the door, you offer your seat on the bus – it’s a no brainer, right?

Perhaps common courtesy isn’t so “common” anymore.

*smooths feathers down*
    I’m glad to see the sincere heartfelt apology by Michael Bugler from Vida Cantina in these comments. It’s a great example of what businesses can do RIGHT in customer service when responding in social media.

The Animated Woman´s last post…Good things come to those who wait.

5. Marinka June 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM #

I don’t understand people And I’m using the term loosely.

xox

Marinka´s last post…Two Hands

6. Kristin June 29, 2012 at 2:58 AM #

I am so damned sad you had to go through this. It really makes me want to go back there and just wail on someone. I am relieved however to hear that they are making efforts and hope and pray they carry through.

Kristin´s last post…That’s what S/He Said…

7. Liz @ The Six Year Itch June 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM #

Holy shitsticks! This is horrible. And you let me blather on about an iPad?! You’re such an incredibly strong, funny, and capable person. When I think about how funny you are, I light up. I’m happy that the restaurant is involved and taking action. But I so wish this never happened. People, obviously, beat potted plants. #ForFucksSake!

Liz @ The Six Year Itch´s last post…One American, One Mother, One Miscarriage that Almost Killed Me Because I Didn’t Have Insurance

8. VDog June 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM #

Good on you. Keep kicking ass and taking names.

9. Danielle Smith June 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM #

I hate this. I’m so sorry you had to deal with this, Anissa – but so very glad the restaurant called you and apologized. You deserve so much more than that. If only you could hear from all of the people who were there – THOSE people are the ones who should be saying ‘I’m sorry’. xo

Danielle Smith´s last post…Stop Talking, Start Doing

10. Beth June 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM #

Your friend no doubt has already gotten over it, but that restaurant situation is flat-out fucked up. You deserve to be treated better, and the waitress/patrons who gave you a hard time need to be fired/kicked in the neck. I think you’ve been to my hometown (San Diego) not terribly long ago, but if you get back here, email me and I’ll take you wherever you want to go. I get off on Making Shit Work.

11. Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting June 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM #

OMG, I would have spared you having to implode on someone because I TOTALLY would have done it for you. MY GOD, what is wrong with people? Sweetie. I wish I could hug and hump the shit out of you to make you feel better :(

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting´s last post…Meet Lisa Douglas, Former Brace-Face

12. Kristine (Mommy Needs Therapy) June 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM #

The restaurant has a chance to make this right moving forward, and I’m happy to hear that they are going to. Some people are just not that bright and when faced with a problem they have no ability to use common sense to figure out how to solve it. It sounds like the employees, especially the hostesses, fall into this category.

What really pisses me off though is that other human beings in that restaurant felt put out by needing to move so you could get by. Seriously?? An inconvenience? I truly can not wrap my brain around that one.

I am so sorry Anissa that you have to come in contact with such asshats of the human variety. You don’t deserve that.

Kristine (Mommy Needs Therapy)´s last post…A little yarn will soothe me.

• Linda June 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM #

Looks like she already told us it’s VIDA CANTINA- Give’em HELL!

13. Kymberli aka JW Moxie June 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM #

Maybe it’s a good thing I *wasn’t* there, because then I would have had to go gangsta and get ethnic all up in public.

Don’t let those assholes make you feel less than, because you will always be greater than them.xo

Kymberli aka JW Moxie´s last post…A Series on Self-Doubt: In Which I Make a Confession with a Capital D

14. Leila June 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM #

Well, it’s probably a good thing I don’t know you that well. Because if I had, and I’d been there, and this shit had gone down….well, I don’t take this kind of stuff very well and we probably ALL would have been embarrassed and there would have been police called. What ASSHOLES. I’m so so sorry that you had to experience this. It kills me how insensitive people have become, to children, to people who are differently abled, to anyone whose experience is not the EXACT SAME as theirs, to those who may need a little more help but are not in any way less than WHOLE, or less than HUMAN. I’m really sorry, Anissa. And those who have said you should name the place are RIGHT. They should be made aware of their negligence in failing to accommodate you, and so should the authorities. Don’t just suck it up. Calling them out is not being weak or even vengeful, it’s making sure somebody else doesn’t have to undergo this bullshit. Feel better. And I hope you and your friend patch things up; hopefully she understands that everything else that night contributed to your KABOOM moment.

Leila´s last post…There is No Room for Bullshit in the Zen Palace

15. Tricia O. June 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM #

Anissa, please tell me the name of the restaurant. I have built my blog primarily on Charlotte restaurant reviews, but before that I was a Rehabilitation Consultant and assisted employers in making their workplaces accessible for workers who had been injured on the job.

I do not play around with this stuff. It is absolutely unacceptable. They may be unaware of the problem, but they won’t be when I am finished with them.

I am so sorry that happened.

Tricia O.´s last post…Charlotte Restaurant Week, Southern Writers Blog Tour, Plum Wine-Sake Cocktails.

16. Liz June 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM #

Name the restaurant. Not to be incendiary or start a hate campaign. But consumers should know if they are giving money to an establishment who is hostile to the disabled, so they can choose to patronize someplace else. If you don’t want to name it, please do inform the owner or manager of your experience so they at least have the opportunity to apologize and train their staff. This restaurant needs to be “schooled”!

17. Andrea June 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM #

Damn it. I think I know where it was and that effing sucks. I think we saw you when we were leaving and who the hell knew they’d be horrific that way later on? Ew.

I’m sorry – that sucks. And I’m honestly feeling sorry for them, that they’re so ignorant and rude and don’t consider the importance of respecting everyone and addressing people politely. WTF? A manager to ask people to move? Seriously? Come on, people. Whatever.

I’m stewing here because I’m mad. But I am glad I haven’t yet sung the praises of any the food that I did enjoy, but kind of has a sour taste in retrospect when I hear this. Damn, woman, you deserved to go all ballistic on them – directly. You’re a saint for not doing so. Sending you love. And pizza. ;)

Andrea´s last post…Type-A Reflections … the people

18. Momo Fali June 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM #

Sons of beeches. I would have hurled some people to make room for you.

Momo Fali´s last post…Five Years

19. Katherine Stone June 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM #

I still can’t understand why it’s hard to move your ass a few inches to let someone through. Whether it’s someone who is in a wheelchair or someone who isn’t.

Didn’t their mamas raise them right? You get off your bony ass and you move because you have respect for people and because you are kind and because someone — whoever they are — needs to get past. That’s it. It isn’t hard. I’m still so sorry Anissa. You’re awesome. Please don’t let the bastards get you down.

Katherine Stone´s last post…6 Surprising Symptoms of Postpartum Depression and Anxiety

20. Victoria June 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM #

I am still speechless.

People have to move? The server would have to ask a manager to ask the people to move? Oh ye servers with no balls….

Those people blocking the way are fortunate that it wasn’t me in that situation. When I go out, it’s with no fewer than 3 men (Dave, my BIL, and my brother-from-another-mother), who are big, big guys. The kind who will physically lift people in chairs out of the way if they won’t move under their own power.

I am so sorry this happened to you, Anissa. I recommend you take this higher, and make the restaurant sit up and beg.

Victoria´s last post…Afternoons & Coffeespoons & The Road To… Somewhere

21. @KimMoldofsky June 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM #

That sucked. I’m sorry they were such idiots.

@KimMoldofsky´s last post…Clinton Global Initiative America: I’m back on the A-List

22. Suebob June 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM #

Gah. Been there, done that. The most bizarre example was at a expo of All Things Handicapped (which caused my sister to comment: “Eating, eliminating, moving around. That’s pretty much what all life is.”) We were shopping for conversion vans, which as you probably know are godawful expensive, and the sales guys would only talk to me and my BIL, the standing-up people.

We schooled several salesmen that day about talking to the freakity-fracking person who was actually going to be the USER of the godawful expensive van. Then we went and bought a used one from a nice guy.

Suebob´s last post…Honoring the Old, Creating the New

23. Erika June 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM #

I’m so sorry you experienced such ass-holery. I think this speaks loudly to the far-too-broad social problem of invisibility & exclusion for individuals with disabilities. In that case, your blow-up was appropriately proportional. I would’ve blown up, too.. You have every right as a consumer to expose the hell out of that place.

Erika´s last post…Pride’s right here.

24. Cindy Watrous June 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM #

Anissa,

Do me a favor. Email me the name of this establishment. I’m going back to Charlotte in a little under two weeks to see a concert. I have half a mind to go chew their ass–and mention my own disability. (Maybe you didn’t notice, but I have Cerebral Palsy–which makes walking/balancing and maneuvering in small spaces difficult for me, to list a few issues.)

These people suck and will NOT be getting any of my business. Or business from anyone I know.

They should be thanking you for your business–and you should not feel bad, AT ALL.

*hugs and love*

Cindy Watrous´s last post…How to Cook Quinoa

25. @maggiedammit June 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM #

I’m so sorry your dignity was violated so soundly, my friend. I can’t imagine people acting this way, I just can’t. You’ve done what you can do, which is to speak out about it and hold your chin up high. But it sucks, and I’m sorry.

26. GOODe Ole Boy June 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM #

I SO wish I was there! I would have parted the ways for you. It is quite easy for 250 pounds of redneck to make a path, if ya know what I mean. Call me anytime you need a linebacker.

27. Diane Brogan June 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM #

OMG! Anissa, I am so sorry you were treated so poorly. Tears are flowing. I am angry. I am frustrated. I want to scream “WAKE UP AMERICA!” Know that you are loved. Know that you ARE a very important person, even though you are not always treated the way you should be treated.

Diane Brogan´s last post…Health Care Can Be Frustrating

28. Ann June 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM #

The compassion and simple patience-deficiency in people flabbergasts me. Unforgivably humiliating. Well, maybe forgivable if ANYONE THOUGHT TO APOLOGIZE FOR BEING AN ASSHOLE.

The only person that did of course is you, for blowing your lid. xoxo

Ann´s last post…Our Time

29. KeAnne June 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM #

Oh Anissa. I am so sorry. WTF is wrong with people? Ugh, yet another embarrassment for NC. I’d like to blame it all on it being in Charlotte b/c I’m not a big fan of the city, but unfortunately, assholes are everywhere.

KeAnne´s last post…Surviving Type-A

30. Kelby June 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM #

Anissa, this makes me so, so angry for you. What idiots!!! I am so sorry you had to go through all of this just to have dinner with friends at the conference. I am pretty sure I know which restaurant you are referring to. I won’t be giving them my business again.

Kelby´s last post…Submit Your #typeacon 2012 Posts

31. Stimey June 28, 2012 at 8:38 AM #

It never ceases to amaze me that people who truly believe they are good people who support people with disabilities really do not. I’ve seen it time and time again. It is appalling. I am so sorry this happened to you.

Stimey´s last post…Team Stimey Goes to Camden Yards: A Story in Five Chapters

32. Barnmaven June 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM #

God, this makes me want to kick someone’s ass. Hard.

Barnmaven´s last post…Remembering Fransie

33. Kia June 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM #

I wasn’t even there and i want to still fucking cut people for that. Your stabby We are all stabby and its going to be a bloodbath at the next dinner for reals.

Kia´s last post…Movie Review – People Like Us

34. Susan in the Boonies June 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM #

Oh, dang it. I’m so sorry!!! Anne is right: a good friend will get it, and will forgive you. The fact that you realize that it wasn’t HER, it was the humiliation, upon humiliation. She’ll get it. I’m so sorry!!!!!!

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake with Raspberry Sauce

35. Chrysula June 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM #

There are no words. And yet you found them. Somehow in the pain of them, there is the beauty of your strength, your friend’s easy forgiveness and the apathy of the restaurant staff. xo

Chrysula´s last post…Of Miracles and Details

36. Ewokmama June 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM #

Motherfuckers!!!! I wish I had been there. I may be small but I can clear out assholes.

I’m so sorry you go through this crap. You don’t deserve it. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. You are a fantastic human being and fuck them for not being able to see that!!!

37. lisa (@i_am_lisa_too) June 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM #

It’s really too bad, as we know (for the most part) these people have children or will have children and will teach their children to act as you’ve described. Idiocy is being bred in America. Sometimes, I’m reluctant (knowing our country’s manners) to say where I’m from, but please know… some of us (as you’ve most likely seen in the brilliance of support of your friends here) care about humanity and teach our children (future adults, too!) to behave and help, as there will be a day, not so far away, when each one of us feels a challenge. It may not be like the challenges you face and conquer, but still… it’s a challenge. Hugs to you (and I’m sticking pins in my waitress/hostess voodoo doll for you! lol!… don’t really have one, but I’d do it for you anyway!).

lisa (@i_am_lisa_too)´s last post…Wordless/full Wednesday; What’s On Your Workdesk Wednesday, etc.

38. Cathy Kressel June 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM #

I was recently at a zoo restaurant and witnessed a teenage girl do this to a woman trying to get her wheelchair down an aisle to get to the order counter. The worst part was the girl had moved her chair to block the aisle in the first place and then acted like it was the woman in the wheelchair’s fault. I see this more and more and it’s depressing because I feel like humanity has taken a huge turn for the worse. Common decency and courtesy are gone and replaced with whiners who don’t take responsibility for anything. Its good to see that there are some decent people left out there and I’m glad you have many that are friends :)

39. Karen June 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM #

I’m continually astounded at the sheer, self-important suckage of some people.

It comes around. How hard is it to move a few inches? How hard is to to make a decision regarding the exit of a person in a wheelchair?

Jerks. I’m so sorry.

And Anne is right – a good friend will understand.

Karen´s last post…Mommy Health. (An Important Interruption Of Random Friday)

40. Delilah June 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM #

I am so sorry. I live in Charlotte and I’m so appalled right now. If you’d like to drop me the name of that restaurant I can drop kick a waitress or two for you. It would be an honor. I have a severely special needs son and have been on the receiving end of those looks before. It makes you want to cut a bitch.

Delilah´s last post…To Whom It Concerns

41. drhoctor2 June 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM #

What a BAD waitress..My grandma would have FIRED that server in a hot second. No one should ever act like that while working..because they LOSE you money if you’re all dead inside or something..Have some free assvice from me? Make a scene wherever you go if you must…..Ram their chairs..”say You don’t MIND that, do ya?” coldly..Tell her to GET the manager..coulda called the fire department as the restarunt aisle were blocked to the point of endangering people if a fire broke out…No reason for you to feel badly over GROWN people who don’t know how to act…

Not for nothing but…? TypeA seemed fraught with consequences..ifyaknowwahtimeanandithinkthatyoudo….this year. Surprising considering the venue was in Charlotte and I know Charlotte is LOVELY.

• Jamal Irving June 29, 2012 at 1:36 AM #

Anissa, it sounds like you had a bad experience; but please do not compare this to being black. I am black and can tell you they are not one in the same. You were served in the restaurant and though the hostess was insensitive to your needs she never denied you service or accused you of stealing or running out on your tab. So many times in today’s society people make small issues into a big one and I can tell you countless times Ive received service that was less than stellar…you know what I did? I told the manager. Because obviously its something that needs to be taken care but to compare it to your top coming down or being black in the 60s are black now….come on.
      Ive been to the restaurant in question and the service is generally a good one…a bad experience does not mean you were discriminated against…it means someone needs to be alerted and it seems that no where in this statement does it say management refused to help. Anissa people are ignorant to the struggles of the handicapped but to be treated equally people must be educated and honestly a blog in my opinion is not the best way calling people out at the time if the incident is the way….good luck with the dinner hopefully the experience is better but please don’t make this into the worst thing ever because it is not.-

• Kymberli aka JW Moxie June 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM #

Jamal, as a Black woman, I beg to differ. Discrimination is discrimination and mistreatment is mistreatment, whether on the basis of race, religion, handicap, sexuality, creed — whatever. If you understand and can relate to the substance of what Anissa is feeling, then that’s all the information you need to be able to support her. Is she any less worthy of respect just because the flavor of mistreatment she receives is different from the side eye you receive as a Black man? I think not. You’re also not in any position to compare or devalue Anissa’s emotions to your own. Her “worst thing ever” may not be yours, and it isn’t fair — or appropriate — for anyone to make that comparison. There are never any winners when people play the Pain Olympics.

I’ve seen whole movements sparked from one blog post, and I’ve seen CHANGE happen as a result of that spark. Let’s not forget that this is ANISSA’S blog where she writes about HER experiences. I seriously doubt that you’d enter someone’s home and tell them not to put their feet up on their own coffee table.

• Jamal Irving June 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM #

Kimberli I am not disagreeing that she received bad service. But this does not mean the person discriminated against her. Blogs are made for people to share their feelings and to better one another. I never said that the restaurant was not at fault. But to make this into something of discrimination is not fair. As a black woman I am sure you you have encountered countless forms of bigotry and hate. You have also received bad service and know the difference.

• Condo Blues June 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM #

Jamal, you are clearly mistaken about what discrimination truly is and the blogging genre in general. The restaurant offered poor service with a side of discrimination plain and simple. They followed the ADA accommodation laws in name only by having an elevator but discriminates against anyone with a mobility issue by blocking it with a giant planter so they can’t or barely use it. They made a poor service and discrimination combo platter and broke ADA law, when the server claimed asking the other customers to move to accommodate a wheelchair was poor service to her customers forgetting 1. it’s the law 2. Anissa and her group are paying customers too. Sadly, too many people are wrapped up in their own victimhood to see how other demographics can and still experience discrimination.

As for implying Anissa should basically just deal with it and shut up about her experience because all blogs should be uplifting, you clearly read only one type of blogging genre. There are many types of bloggers and blogs. Some inspire, some call for change by naming names and demanding calls to action, some like this one are a slice of life experiences. In this case, her life experience wasn’t a good one. Her story should be told. Otherwise those of us who do not have mobility issues would not be aware to be on the lookout and politely ask the management to proactively change it when we see it. You know in an effort to be nice and uplifting to our fellow human beings.

Condo Blues´s last post…Design Star 7, Episode 5

42. tracey June 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM #

I’m sorry that people still act stupidly. It would have been so easy for the hostess to be NICE and HUMANLIKE to help by politely escorting you through the maze of tables. I am sure your friend understands.

tracey´s last post…How many calories can I burn by blogging?

43. Stephanie Precourt June 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM #

Oh I want to weep. I am so sorry.

Steph

Stephanie Precourt´s last post…There’s Always Money In The Lemonade Stand

44. Natalie June 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM #

Wow, sometimes the utter lack of humanity with humans makes me nauseous!! I am truly sorry you had to suffer such ass wads!!

Natalie´s last post…OXY Review

45. Redneck Mommy June 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM #

And for the record, Anissa is being KIND describing the ordeal she went through to have some damn tacos at a stupid restaurant. It was HORRIFIC. More so was the ignorance so many people showed when faced with the inconvenient disability of a fellow American.

Damn.

(Sorry ‘Niss. I’ll stop hijacking your comment section now.)

Redneck Mommy´s last post…Why I Still Blog

46. Redneck Mommy June 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM #

Fuckers. I still want to cut a bitch and RAGE at the ignorance of that waitress. I’m still so mad. Thank god for your inspirational vagina, woman. It made everything better.

Redneck Mommy´s last post…Why I Still Blog

47. Jana A (@jana0926) June 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM #

This makes me mad for you, sad for you and like I want to punch the people at the restaurant in the taco. ::sigh::

Jana A (@jana0926)´s last post…It’s Conference Time!

48. Tricia (irishsamom) June 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM #

OMG Anissa – I am so sorry that you had to go through that. It’s SO WRONG that people lvehaved like that and that the restaurant condoned it! I would love to write to that place (maybe you could get a bunch of us to do it and educate them in how to treat their guests and accomodate people who have challenges, without making it so difficult to just be part of the crowd. My heart feels for you – this actually made me cry. I start with my children – teaching that we should always reach out – be kind and helpful and most of all that all of us are human beings with hearts and souls and we all need to be treated as if though we are important. I am so sorry that these idiots chose to do otherwise.

I am also sure that your friend will understand how awful the scenario was for you and will understand. It would be hard not to.

Hugs to you. I wish I could say something helpful, but I just can’t. : (

49. summer June 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM #

Ouch. I cringe for you. That you suffered that night, that you carry this with you now. We deserve to leave these moments behind. To leave every moment behind.

summer´s last post…What We Do in Florida When The Rain Comes, Won’t Leave. Write, Get Sad, Eat. Puzzles.

50. allison June 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM #

But how Fifty Shades of Fucking WRONG that YOU’RE the one who feels bad after that assholery. The fuck’s WRONG with people?

51. Anne (@notasupermom) June 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM #

I hate it when bad feelings come out sideways. A good friend will understand. A box of chocolates in the mail couldn’t hurt, either.

Still, this makes me want to cut someone. It will be okay, because I’ll say “excuse me” first.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Be Kind – You Could Be In That Chair Tomorrow - June 29, 2012

[...] This morning I read a blog post that broke my heart: “when people make me feel crappy” [...]

2. There is No Room for Bullshit in the Zen Palace | Drink Lei Down Pass Out - June 28, 2012

[...] JUST…STOP.Related articlesThe Bitch Slap: Knowing What Scares You (redheadwriting.com)when people make me feel crappy (freeanissa.com)Excusivitis [Beth Burgess] (ecademy.com)Related PostsRebuilding the Zen PalaceTags: [...]