nervous nellie

I have a lot of things to do when I get to BlogHer and NYC.

There’s a party I’ve been working with my events team at Aiming Low to organize. There’s a board member gathering for one of the most important groups I’ve ever been a part of.  Me and a sweet friend will be hosting the Serenity Suite, Fri 9-11 PM. There are so many parties. The friends are beyond number, the ones I know and the ones I have yet to meet.

Then. I’m meeting with a book agent.

It’s like I have a job interview.

It’s scary.

I’m asking a stranger to see the different way I write. Then get it.

The agent comes in contact with tons of traditional books.

I’m giving her my story told in my crazy, random way, saying THIS IS ME ON THESE PAGES, PLEASE LIKE ME .

I know that if she decides not to represent me and my book it’s not personal.

But how do I stop myself from feeling like a girl in a dress, waiting anxiously on a prom date to arrive?

Please think I’m pretty.

Don’t hate my writing.

Be kind if you do.

Yes, I’m nervous.

Hold me.

, , , , ,

6 Responses to nervous nellie

1. Theresa July 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM #

Sending hugs! You’ll wow that agant! Looking forward to my first BlogHer, hopefully won’t be too overwhelmed to say hello!

Theresa´s last post…Bloggers Unite For Dog Rescue!

2. Avitable July 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM #

Oh, you’ll be fine. Stop being such a pussy. If anyone has the confidence and backbone to sell themselves, it’s you.

Avitable´s last post…Missing Miranda – your chance to be a part of movie history

3. Dead Cow Girl July 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM #

Good luck lady! I hope she thinks you are the prettiest girl at the prom and that dress ends up on the floor come morning.

And perhaps I won’t be too shy to say hello this year…

Perhaps.

Dead Cow Girl´s last post…My Dirty Little Secret

4. Susan in the Boonies July 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM #

I can only imagine how nervous I would be about such an appointment!

But you know what?

I wrote a little something over the weekend that I had NO confidence about, but as I chewed it over, going back and forth, editing and honing it to make sure it was MY voice speaking? I felt the authenticity: yep. This is what I believe. This is me. This is my little candle, shining in the darkness, different from all the other candles, but this is me, and how I see things.

I slid my little offering out there timidly, and low and behold people were responding to it so positively, and sharing it freely, because, I think, they saw my heart in it.

So hold out your little candle, girl, and shine for all the world to see.

The world’s going to love it, in my opinion.

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Re-framing the Period Discussion

5. The Maven July 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM #

Hey, Anissa?

Let’s forget that I stalk you on twitter/hide in the bushes outside your house so we do not view this as a creepy comment.

I’m a writer, and as such I’m quite to critique or admire other writers. And girl, your writing is SPECTACULAR. There are some really bad writers out there and you are most certainly not one of them. And if the agent doesn’t sign you, then it’s really NOT personal. You just need to find another agent that can give you the type exposure you need in the markets you need it in. It will happen, ok?

Shine on, beautiful.

Back into the bushes,
    Amanda

The Maven´s last post…And this is why gardening and Photoshop do not mix

• The Maven July 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM #

Apparently I’m not “quite” to edit my comments before I post them, though. *Quick.