my #NonCon story, part 2

JC had told me that her opening keynote speech involved some audience participation. She then told that I was excused. I was sort of relieved.

ƍ Little - The Animated Woman

Expression by JC, picture by Lizz Porter, click to see more awesomeness

I figured this meant that it was a standing exercise or one involving two hands.

So JC did her speech and told her story to a barrage of incredible hand-drawn slides.

Then came the part the audience participated in.

She told everyone to set their phones on the tables in front of them.

She had all the right-handed people point to the ceiling with their right hand. Then she had all the left-handed people point to the ceiling with their left hand. Then she told them to stick their pointing hands under their butts.

Then the told them to shut one eye.

With their weak hand and one eye, she had them reach for their phones and tweet I CAN.

They did.

With all MY limitations for those moments they did.

I had a very dignified response.

I’m sorry to admit I can’t remember the end of JC’s speech.

I was too busy not snotting up and blubbering like a baby.

It was truly one of the most beautiful moments I’d ever been given.

shall be cont….

, ,

14 Responses to my #NonCon story, part 2

1. Kristin October 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM #

I loved JC before I even read this. But this, this beautiful moment won me over for life…and made me cry long distance.

Kristin´s last post…In Pictures

2. Susan in the Boonies October 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM #

Beautiful. No wonder you cried.
    I would have, too.
    Who doesn’t want to feel understood?

Susan in the Boonies´s last post…Monthly Maintenance for That Time of the The Month

3. The Animated Woman October 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM #

It was an honour to do this keynote. Next time though, I’ma draw some stick figure man-candy!

The Animated Woman´s last post…Naked on a Unicorn – Country Outfitter GIVEAWAY.

4. Leila (Don't Speak Whinese) October 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM #

This made me cry. I don’t cry over much… and you do inspire the shit out of me every freaking day and you can’t tell me to shut up right now. Neeeener neeeener…

I love you and I did it all for the Becky!

Leila (Don’t Speak Whinese)´s last post…#EcoDriven Adventure at Peju Winery: Grape Stomping and Gross Feet

5. Lisa October 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM #

Does it count if the tears make you completely blind??

6. Sarah October 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM #

When I was sitting on my hand and closing my eye and typing on my phone it seemed like a silly little thing we were doing. I think that is part of what made it so powerful when she told us WHY we were doing it.

You really are amazing, Anissa. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Sarah´s last post…Yesterday

7. Amelia October 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM #

Beauteous.

8. Julene October 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM #

How utterly awesome and awe inspiring. A true friend in every sense of the word and a teacher to us all.

9. Twenty Four At Heart October 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM #

Ahhh … and that is how I spend my life.
    Thank you for sharing this today – I needed to read about this.
    It makes me feel like someone out there understands.
    xo

Twenty Four At Heart´s last post…My Real Life

10. Mel October 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM #

I can’t wait for the continuation of this story. I want to know how your day ends and how you reacted at the end of the speech! What’s the best lesson you got from the speech?

-Mel

Mel´s last post…check this out

11. Jasmine October 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM #

As soon as I realized what we were doing, I just lost it. I was and am so moved by how much you conquer everyday. JC’s speech was beautiful.

Jasmine´s last post…Write Your Own Story

12. Dawn @ Finding the Happy October 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM #

That is an amazing and startling gesture – and one that you totally deserve. You rock, Anissa – hard.

Dawn @ Finding the Happy´s last post…How time flies!

13. jana October 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM #

Shit. Now I’m crying at work.

jana´s last post…October 15, 2012: Remembering Our Angels

14. Kizz October 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM #

I just tweeted you I Can from my office. Left hand typing. Left eye closed.

Kizz´s last post…Photo Challenge: NEAR/FAR