3 years later

When it hit me what the date was I took a deep breath. 3 years ago I had two stokes that nearly killed me. 3 years and I’m still alive.

3 years since the last time I walked. 3 years since since I picked up my phone  with my right hand. 3 years since I gave someone my full big smile.

It’s been 3 years of this wheelchair. 3 years of handicap accessibility as a full-time job. 3 years of learning to type one-handed. 3 years of staring eyes and avoided gazes. 3 years of anger and shame and acceptace.

It’s been 3 years of perspective. 3 years of taking that high road no matter how rough the path. It’s been 3 years of valuing each precious hug and kiss for the gift they are. It’s been 3 years of making true friends not trophies. My children. There aren’t enough words to say what 3 more years with them has meant.

It’s been 3 years of learning to value myself. 3 years of taking pride in who I am and what I’ve done, not in spite of what happened, but because of it.

, , ,

9 Responses to 3 years later

1. Alexis November 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM #

I’ve seen the smile you have now, and it is gorgeous. I’m so grateful to have met you.

Alexis´s last post…Things That Are True – I Want to Ride My Bicycle, I Want to Ride My Bike

2. Becca November 17, 2012 at 9:31 PM #

Thank you for sharing this. I know you probably never thought to be one, but you are an inspiration to me and countless others who experienced life altering health changes. Thank you for taking the high road.

3. Anne (@notasupermom) November 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM #

I’m grateful for these three years because you were here and I am able to call you a friend.
    I hope you aren’t tired of hearing how much I like and admire you.

Anne (@notasupermom)´s last post…Food Lion Holiday Bake Off—Recipe for Pumpkin Bread Pudding

4. Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) November 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM #

You are as awesome today as you were last year, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that etc.

Susan (5 Minutes for Mom)´s last post…Drinking Water With Style (Giveaway)

5. Kristi November 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM #

What Kristin said.

6. kpotterb November 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM #

Love you girl! XO

7. Kristin November 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM #

And, it’s been three years since I decided I had to find out about this person all my friends were worried about. You are every bit as fabulous as I thought you would be,,,because my friends are bad ass and I knew you would be too if they loved you so much.

Kristin´s last post…A Need For Candy

8. Jana A (@jana0926) November 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM #

Three years of you being an inspiration to so many. Anissa, I’m honored to know you. Much love and I can’t wait to read your post “10 years later.” xoxo

Jana A (@jana0926)´s last post…What Does It Mean?

9. Tricia O. November 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM #

You are a bad ass. I’m so glad I know you. xoxo

Tricia O.´s last post…Cranberry Salsa and Salted Caramel Tart Recipes