I saw @blogHer through new eyes

20130730-212736.jpg20130730-212548.jpg
I left for Chicago and BlogHer knowing I was leaving Peter with a lead ball of worry in his gut. Not because he was particularly worried about me – I’ve been to DC, NYC, LA and countless others – but because I was boarding a plane with our 12yo.

BlogHer isn’t anything new, with its crowds, kisses and parties. The hotel even held memories of 2009 and the time spent with friends.

But it was all painted in new colors as I got to show it to my daughter and experience it through her fresh eyes.

Her delighted smiles at being recognized by people who have seen her picture on Facebook and Instagram. The moments of clarity when names from the computer became real life people.

For a few minutes I became more than the person who nags at her about her socks. I became a person with a life and personality beyond what she’s known. I’ll still be mom to her but now I’m m MOM. it’s not terrible.

There were these gorgeous moments when the young woman she aches to be popped out and other where I saw her still grasping the girlhood in her clutches.

It was beautiful to tell people “I made this!” And see them be just as amazed as I am by the creature before them.

She was smashing.

People asked me “What do you blog about?” and my polite answer was “Loving life with no filter” but a larger part of me wanted to point at her and just smile.

If you haven’t taken a trip with your kid, one-on-one, DO IT! You’ll both appreciate each other more than you ever thought possible. 20130730-212952.jpg20130730-212853.jpg

, , ,

11 Responses to I saw @blogHer through new eyes

1. Sandra August 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM #

It was SO lovely meeting the both of you! I love my RED CUP! And pointing at your beautiful daughter and smiling would have said it all. :)

Sandra´s last post…Dear Subtlety

2. Linda Roy August 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM #

It was so great to see you both! Amazing that you got to spend some one on one mother/daughter time together. You have such great kids Anissa!

Linda Roy´s last post…The I Don’t Like Mondays Blog Hop: Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

3. My Inner Chick August 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM #

It was beautiful to tell people “I made this!” ))

Love that!

My Inner Chick´s last post…1159 Days

4. DutchBitch July 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM #

I have a 15 yr old who likes nothing better than accompanying me to visit people from all over the world (or have them visit us) I met through blogging, Facebook, Twitter. He chooses that above a seaside vacation, visiting cities like Paris, New York. Whenever I ask him what he would like to do he tells me he would like to spend time at friends in UK, US, or wherever else in the world. I cherish these times as him being 15, he could be going out in the world on his own sooner than I think.

It was great to see you enjoy this trip with your 12 yr old and I agree with your advise: anyone who is able to do this (and a trip together doesn’t have to be far away or expensive) should do this with their children one on one.

5. Tanis Miller July 31, 2013 at 11:18 AM #

The very best part of that conference were the hours I got to spend with you and your daughter. I love you both. And I apologize for any corruption of your child’s mind I may be responsible for. But hot dang, that was fun.

Tanis Miller´s last post…Living a Lie

6. Chloe Jeffreys July 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM #

I am so bummed that I didn’t see you not even once. That makes me very sad.

But I am glad you brought your daughter. I brought mine to my first BlogHer and I have such wonderful memories of the two of us dancing at Sparklecorn and having a blast. Those times are so important to create and cherish. It is very true that they do grow up too fast.

Chloe Jeffreys´s last post…Evening Wear in Chicago

7. Deb Rox July 31, 2013 at 1:32 AM #

So amazing to meet her (and to see you!)

8. Kristin July 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM #

It sounds like a truly fabulous experience. I wish I had the chance to meet her.

Kristin´s last post…The Great Turtle Rescue

9. Andrea July 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM #

How absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I SO enjoyed your pics of the two of you as the conference was happening.

Andrea´s last post…Imagination Movers #BackinBlue

10. Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting July 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM #

This makes me ridiculously happy.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting´s last post…Gorgeous Very Berry Smoothie Recipe

11. Robin Plemmons July 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM #

I’m not sure I can like this any more. I love that she got to experience you in this way. I love that she got to witness first hand ALL of those wonderful, empowered women doing good things with their voices. It’s frickin’ beautiful. Love you both. xoxo

Robin Plemmons´s last post…congratulations on making a human with your genitals by lemonswithapea