this girl is on fiiiiiiiiiiiiiire!

Ok, so *I* wasn’t on fire but I started one.

With my wheelchair.

In my kitchen.


We have a gas stove versus electric.

Peter ordered pizza the night before and we carelessly left the cardboard boxes on the burners.

Note: cardboard is really freaking flammable. 

 Part of my wheelchair experience has been to learn it’s faster and easier to go backwards sometimes. Especially when my hand is full and I can’t push my wheel I’ve found that pushing myself around with my leg is easier.

However, it’s not always “easier” when it comes to steering.

Now, I’m short so it was hard for Pete and anybody tall to push and get a good grip on the handles. So we had to handle extenders that would make that easier.

Unfortunately, it made the handles longer too.

wheelchair handles

I’m forever backing into something with those handles, like shopping racks and OH SAY PEOPLE. 

So there I was piddling around in my kitchen, going backwards, when I heard the “click click click” of our gas stove engaging and felt my handles smack into the stove.

In the time it took me to get turned around the cardboard boxes we’d so thoughtlessly left on the burners were on FIRE.  

Did I mention the family was gone and it was just me?

Part of considered just letting it burn and getting out of the house to be safe. The other part of me knew the fire wasn’t very big and even *I* should be able to deal with it.

I did manage to get to the sink, the fire was extinguished,the house was not burned down.

But for all you I feel it’s very important I do this:


Don’t set shit on your stove. REPEAT. Don’t set shit on your stove. DON’T.SET.SHIT.YOUR.STOVE. or this could happen!

stove on fire


Only you will set your kitchen on fire if you set sjit on your stove

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, ,

19 Responses to this girl is on fiiiiiiiiiiiiiire!

  1. Cindy Brooks December 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM #

    Good God! I’m glad you’re okay! I’m going to make my husband and grandson read your post and then hang your Smokey sign above the stove (at a safe distance) so they remember to not put shit on the stove.

  2. Andrea (@goodgirlgonered) December 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM #

    Holy shit. Seriously. I thought you were kidding when you wrote something about this on FB.

    What. The. Hell?

    Thank goodness you are okay. And I totally do that. But electric stove, so for me it is leaving crap IN the oven when I preheat. Damn. Thank goodness you are safe.

    Andrea (@goodgirlgonered)´s last post…Amazing Reads Gone Visual!

  3. Christa Clips (Save-at-Home-Mom) December 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM #

    holy smokes! i’m so glad you’re ok. we set some burner covers on fire once and I’ve never forgotten the lesson. trying to get them OFF the burners while flaming hot was a challenge, whilst standing. I can’t imagine how difficult it was for you in a sitting position.

    i love the revamped Smokey slogan!!!

    Christa Clips (Save-at-Home-Mom)´s last post…Dear Santa: I’d like a goat and water pills (said my children, never)

  4. The Animated Woman December 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM #

    Holy craaaaaaap. That could have been so bad. Seriously, I’m always yelling at people not to use the cooker as a counter top.

    The Animated Woman´s last post…Love VS Crohn’s.

  5. thekitchwitch December 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM #

    And I thought burning pizza to a smoking crisp this weekend was bad! Fuckity fuck!

  6. Lisa December 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM #

    OmG! I am so happy that you are okay!!!

    Lisa´s last post…#SavingMrBanks Review #DisneyFrozenEvent

  7. Elan Morgan December 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM #

    I’m so glad you’re all okay! Fire terrifies me.

    Elan Morgan´s last post…How To Tell Left From Right: The Surefire Method

  8. Maura December 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM #

    I’m glad you’re ok! You’re the second person I know who has started a kitchen fire this way.

    I just hope you cling to the lesson better than she did; every time I go to her place, there’s STILL stuff on the burners. :-(

    Maura´s last post…Surfing

  9. Dresden December 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM #

    So glad you are ok.

    Do not do this agin.



    Dresden´s last post…Advice for Caregivers having an Alzheimer’s Christmas

  10. Brigid December 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM #

    Holy crap! So glad you are OK. I am guilty of leaving shit on the stove and it drives my husband crazy. Then I get pissy when he moves my shit. Oy. We have buttons on our stove and the cats have walked across them and turned them on before. I’ll think of you now whenever I’m not putting my shit on the stove.

  11. Naomi December 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM #

    What a terrible ploy for remodeling the kitchen… So glad you are okay!

    Naomi´s last post…Sweet Creations Mini Loaf Pan

  12. Lisa Frame December 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM #

    Oh babe. I’m one who does leave shit on the stove. So thankful y’all are okay. Sending much much love.

    Lisa Frame´s last post…NC Fitness Expo #CLTFitExpo

  13. Erin December 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM #

    Oh holy crap.

    It’s one of my biggest pet peeves at our house…when people leave things on the stove. I was forever moving off grocery bags, pizza boxes, etc. But we got a new stove not too long ago and it has a light that shows if it’s still hot.

    Regardless, nothing should ever be set on stoves. Ever. I’m so very glad you are ok. Way to handle it, btw.

    Erin´s last post…The End.

  14. Robin Plemmons December 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM #

    OMG. OMG. THAT SUUUUUCKS!!! I’m glad you weren’t literally on fire. DON’T SET YOURSELF ON FIRE. IF YOU DIE, I WILL KILL YOU. xoxo

    Robin Plemmons´s last post…you can't say happiness without penis by lemonswithapea

  15. Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting December 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM #

    OMG, I’m so glad you’re okay!

  16. Jo Lynn Francis December 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM #

    Thank God no one was hurt! And it was only in your kitchen. We lost everything in our house fire. Makes for a sad Christmas…..

    Jo Lynn Francis´s last post…Trim Healthy Mama

    • ThePeachy1 December 18, 2013 at 3:07 AM #

      Jo Lynn, me too, I lost everything but 1 white tennis shoe and a blue plastic hanger to a house fire when my 2 oldest kids were babies. Then turned around and lost it all again a decade later in a hurricane. It is most definitely heart wrenching and tragic but in both cases all people and pets were ok. Neither of my events were around the holidays. I don’t know if I could have rebounded as fast if it had been. Glad you guys are ok, and I hope you are recovering from your house fire. xo

  17. Not So Average Mama December 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM #

    We always set pizza boxes on the stove! Holy crap! So glad you are ok!!!!!!

  18. The Domestic Goddess December 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM #

    HOLY CRAP, WOMAN!!!! GAH! Glad you’re ok!

Leave a Reply to Lisa Frame Click here to cancel reply.