Ok, so *I* wasn’t on fire but I started one.
With my wheelchair.
In my kitchen.
We have a gas stove versus electric.
Peter ordered pizza the night before and we carelessly left the cardboard boxes on the burners.
Note: cardboard is really freaking flammable.
Part of my wheelchair experience has been to learn it’s faster and easier to go backwards sometimes. Especially when my hand is full and I can’t push my wheel I’ve found that pushing myself around with my leg is easier.
However, it’s not always “easier” when it comes to steering.
Now, I’m short so it was hard for Pete and anybody tall to push and get a good grip on the handles. So we had to handle extenders that would make that easier.
Unfortunately, it made the handles longer too.
I’m forever backing into something with those handles, like shopping racks and OH SAY PEOPLE.
So there I was piddling around in my kitchen, going backwards, when I heard the “click click click” of our gas stove engaging and felt my handles smack into the stove.
In the time it took me to get turned around the cardboard boxes we’d so thoughtlessly left on the burners were on FIRE.
Did I mention the family was gone and it was just me?
Part of considered just letting it burn and getting out of the house to be safe. The other part of me knew the fire wasn’t very big and even *I* should be able to deal with it.
I did manage to get to the sink, the fire was extinguished,the house was not burned down.
But for all you I feel it’s very important I do this:
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Don’t set shit on your stove. REPEAT. Don’t set shit on your stove. DON’T.SET.SHIT.YOUR.STOVE. or this could happen!