It’s so quiet. Everyone’s gone, to work or school. I’m by myself. Usually I cherish this time. I’ve never been afraid of solitude. But yesterday changed that a little. I’ve been horribly sick this week with the most wretched unrelated pain. To combat the pain I’ve taken meds left over from my broken wrist. It [...]
Years ago Pete and I used to play this game where we’d try to make the other person more thirsty. Whoever caved had to go get the drink. Pete generally caved. Whether he was thirstier or nicer, I don’t know. I do know that I was lazier. In these wheelchair days I have to be [...]
It would be easy to be angry. This wasn’t the life I expected to have. I didn’t expect to face my uncertain future in a wheelchair with a stroke-effected appearance and a prison of my own body. It would be SO easy to be angry. I work hard to stay thankful. In spite of my [...]
It costs a lot the go to the blogging conferences. There used to be just a couple. Now there’s at least one “biggie” a month. Then you factor in flight, hotel, registration, food and all the extras one spends at a conference. Now multiply that times two. That what it costs for me to go [...]
I’ll be the first person to get on my accessible soapbox and bang on my drum with one hand that limitations are in your own mind. Truthfully, there are limitations you have to deal with every day that are VERY REAL and can put a damper on your positive mindset. Things can get in your way [...]
The house is empty. The kds are in school. Peter’s on a plane. The cat’s outside. The new puppy is passed out. My back is throbbing from a fall I took on Sunday. I was alone. I was enjoying the thrill of ladytime and pretty weak from the pain of a couple months catching up [...]
This is the description of the NonCon, The Aiming Low Non-Conference is an event meant to get back to the core values of blogging. It will be a weekend full of question and answers and information-sharing. There will be NO PANELS, just a learning environment where you are welcomed to ask about the personal, technical, seeking and slightly [...]
There I am, just days away from the biggest event I’ve ever organized and I have this moment of clarity. I’m literally sitting on the toilet (bear with me) where I sit to change clothes and I can’t get my leg out of my jeans. I’m struggling with my pants that are stuck on my non-moving foot, I reach [...]
We had a handicap-accessible shower built. I can now take showers by myself. When I want to. Not on anyone else’s schedule. Not asking to bathe myself. Showering by myself is an art. Easy for the normal. A harsh task for the handicapped. Putting the shower chair in the stall. Knowing where the soap and shampoo is, there [...]
I was jealous. For minutes I sat there and watched and was totally consumed by the thoughts of life with both arms and a face that worked. God, I wanted it. I did. I would have given my one good leg to have a fully functional torso again. Then it went away. I let go [...]
I always want to make sure that everything I say/write is correct. The potted plant I mentioned belongs to the Epicenter (the building rental) and not the Vida Cantina itself. When they heard of my problem and was made aware of the issue it was removed. While I am thrilled that the one very small [...]
I was on on the screen in Times Square and my top fell off! Not really, but I probably would’ve have been able to deal with that better than what actually happened. In North Carolina at TypeAParent Conference (that I’ll write about later with all the good and wonderful that happened)and I went out to [...]
My friend Julia is traveling with me. Julia Roberts. I’ll give you a moment to let that sink in. Julia has shaved my armpits. She has gotten me through airport security. She loaded and unloaded my wheelchair countless times. She’s had to navigate bathrooms and restaurants for handicap accessibility. She’s made umpteen phone calls for [...]
Erma Bombeck said something that pretty much defines my approach to life.... "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, "I used everything you gave me." If you switch the word TALENT for LOVE or LAUGHTER or HAPPINESS....it still stands.
Read By Email
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/64/4534164/html/wp-content/plugins/instagramwidget/instagramWidget.php on line 43
- Lesley: Hello There. I found your blog the usage of msn. T...
- blog: Admiring the persistence you put into your website...
- blog: Good site you have got here.. It's difficult to f...
- Men Black Jacket: Thanks for sharing it and I really agree with the ...
- filmitorrent: I would like to thank you for the efforts you've ...
- every child deserves a @ShotAtLife with the UN Foundation’s blog relay August 15, 2012
- It’s never too early to teach your kids how to get thrown out of an establishment with STYLE August 6, 2009
- playing games in my mind October 16, 2013
- do people comment because they have things to say or they feel they have to? June 26, 2010
- well, here you go…. August 3, 2010
- Mabel’s Labels for everything but when I lose my mind! @Mabelhood September 26, 2014
- phantom hands August 15, 2014
- what i did during summer break… August 12, 2014
- parent/teenager conferences March 10, 2014
- bowling balls the only balls in play March 6, 2014
- Master Your Own Weight Loss Destiny With These Tips dnjdmkdbcy129
- Easy And Effective Fitness Tips For Anyone dnjdmkdbcy129
- Be Your Healthiest With These Suggestions About Fitness dnjdmkdbcy129